exposed hive

  • bob alderink
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2006
      Hi,
      I am new to bee keeping and since I have joined this listserve I have really only read the postings. Today though I found something exciting. A hive of bees attached to some branches on the side of the road. I live in Raleigh North Carolina and we don't get tough winters but we still do get snow and ice from time to time.
      I went to collect the combs for the museum I work for and was surprised when bees came crawling out from between the combs. We have had a mild winter but even still, it has been in the twenties or below numerous times. The combs looked completely empty so I can't imagine how they have survived. Maybe this is not that unusual but I think it is an amazing example of survival!
      Bob

    • Ron van Mierlo
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2006
        Hello Bob,

        Perhaps we can also learn a lesson or two from the example that you found:
        Namely that a lot of our well meant doings can lower the winter survival chances much more than in the case where the bees are just
        left to take care of themselves the natural way.
        Who knows we disturb more than we realize, at least I have seen some clear examples where more harm was inflicted by beekeepers than
        good done during hive inspections or application of treatments against some pest of disease.
        I leave my bees enough of their own honey to survive on through the Swedish winter. Just this winter (my third) I feel that some
        extra feeding might soon be necessary though!
        By the way, I don't use Top Bar hives but an old Scandinavian hive type, heavy and non-transportable but I just like it features.

        Ron van Mierlo
        Sweden

        > I am new to bee keeping and since I have joined this listserve I have really only read the postings. Today though I found
        > something exciting. A hive of bees attached to some branches on the side of the road. I live in Raleigh North Carolina and we
        > don't get tough winters but we still do get snow and ice from time to time.
        > I went to collect the combs for the museum I work for and was surprised when bees came crawling out from between the combs. We
        > have had a mild winter but even still, it has been in the twenties or below numerous times. The combs looked completely empty so I
        > can't imagine how they have survived. Maybe this is not that unusual but I think it is an amazing example of survival!
        > Bob

      • Paul Rowland
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 2006
          Ron,

          Could you provide pictures of the Swedish hive you describe? Is there a
          website that describes this type of hive. I would be very interested. You
          made some very good points on bee survival.