New Wood Bar Design with Added Support Arch & More Observations and a Caution

  • Leonard and Anita at AT&T Broadband
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2002
      Greetings All:

      NEW PIX

      For the latest arch bar with very shallow starter web see
      "www.ccdemo.info/GardenBees/NewWoodBarPix" (no HTML). You can also navigate
      from near the top of the GardenBees page in the bulder's group area. The
      arch is glued into the bar slots with waterproof marine adhesive. I have
      installed one into the CK3 in between two combs being intensly developed so
      I should have results in a few weeks. This one uses a small piece of comb
      trimmings as a starter. There is also a snapshot of the inter-bar bee gaps
      in this folder.

      ARCH BAR OBSERVATIONS

      An additional observation from the wild comb frames in CK4 - not only does
      the drone brood tend to be developed outside of the arch near the bottom but
      the upper outer regions can be easily stripped of honey stores without
      impacting the security of the stores and worker brood comb within the arch.
      In the 22 degree Kenyan this outside area can contain a substantial amount
      of comb. This may be a motivation for making the arch span substantially
      less than the interior width of the bar, so more strippable comb is on the
      outside near the top.

      MOVING COMB & REDUCED SUMMER NECTAR FLOW

      I moved some drone brood to the back of the hive, hoping that it would be
      used for stored honey but it has been instead stripped clean (they may be
      forced to fill it when our fall nectar flow comes in). There are plenty of
      sealed honey stores above the brood area and a lot of unsealed honey behind
      the brood area. Stores on the entrance end beyon the brood tend to be heavy
      with pollen stores. Other comb in the back region was partially drawn for
      honey but is now empty (probably due to the great number of drones in this
      particular hive). This smaller cell drawn comb should come in handy if I
      pick up a swarm as it will advance brood deveopment considerably.

      CAUTION ON STRING TYPE USED IN HIVE

      If you tie in wild or broken comb, use cotton string (the kind you use for
      beans in the garden). Do not use polyester (e.g. dental floss) as the bees
      will chew it into a fuzzy mess into which they can get inextricably tangled
      and die.

      Until later,

      Leonard.