Ferral hive captured, correct bar width - 35mm or 38mm

  • Leonard and Anita at AT&T Broadband
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2002
      Greetings all:

      FERRAL HIVE CAPTURED.

      Last week I picked up a hive. It was in a large loudspeaker box (including
      speakers). This was suspended from chains in a covered patio attached to a
      house. Couldn't ask for a better location as far as the bees are concerned
      as it was sheltered from rain and heat and unlikely to encounter any ant
      problems. However a resident was alergic to bees, so it had to go.

      The workers look like five stripe italians but the drones look more like
      Russians or Yugoslavians. They are very mellow and do not pursue more than a
      couple of yards (meters) when disturbed - unlike my previous wild mix which
      would chase all the way to the house (20M).

      This weekend I sawed it open and transferred most of the worker brood comb
      to six wild comb frames (similar to those on the web site). Very messy and a
      lot of work. They are now in the CK3 (60 degree Kenyan with narrow bottom
      vent) to which I added external stiffeners and lots of screws (the liner
      wauld warp inward in hot weather which worsened attachment problems). I
      also added hanging grids, mainly to restrict the vertical extent of the
      comb. I recovered about 3L of honey, with a lot of honey comb left lose in
      the hive for the bees to feed on and a lot of mixed comb left out for
      scavenging.

      BAR WIDTH

      The literature recommends 35mm for non-african bees. However, all wild comb
      that I have ever seen appears to be on a 38mm spacing. My experince with
      35mm has been that the bees tend to fatten the comb at the developing end,
      which encroaches on the space for the next comb to be built - this next comb
      is then bent off of the centerline of the bar and this defect gets
      progressively worse as more bars are filled, even though all combs are
      started on the centerline.

      I have fabricated a new bar design - this is simiar to Steve's and
      Satterfield's, but instead of a grove for starter this has a ridge
      projecting below 5 degree sloped cheeks. It is all made by sawing only - no
      fabrication required. The ridge bottom is rubbed with wax as a hint. Cut
      from 3/4 inch (18mm) (1 inch nominal) board stock, the extreme ends are
      milled back as shown on Steve's page. I ran off four 35mm as an experiment,
      but the next set will be 38mm wide and some may include a variation on
      steve's vertical passages. My neighbor (who uses Langsroths) says that free
      access vertically is important when using supers.

      Any opinions concerning bars?

      Best wishes to all,

      Leonard.