Re: spreading Tob Bar Hive information Re: [TopHive] Les Crowder Seminars

  • David McDonald
    Message 1 of 43 , Jan 11, 2006
      On 1/11/06, girl mark <girlmark_list_email@...> wrote:
      > I think the idea of a TBH get-together is a very good one, and wouldn't
      > be all that difficult to put together. What time of year would be best-
      > early spring one year?.

      Early spring is nice, because at that time the bee-excitement is
      building in the beekeeper. Fall would work too. Shall we plan on
      early spring of 2007? In California?

      > As for books, I got a LOT of info from the Peace Corps 'small scale
      > beekeeping' book, which I was luckily given a photocopy of years ago.
      > It's now available online at
      > http://www.beekeeping.com/articles/us/small_beekeeping/

      I like that one too.

      > I wish it were available in print still.

      Does the Peace Corp no longer print it for its volunteers? I'm in
      touch with a Peace Corps volunteer who's just coming back from doing
      beekeeping work in South America. I'll ask him if they still get any
      beekeeping print materials from the Peace Corps.

      --
      David McDonald
      Santa Fe, NM
      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 19, 2006
        I am sure I don't agree with Jim on the bees not attaching comb to the
        sides. They will attach whatever they need to, to ensure the comb
        doesn't collapse, which is one reason why the kenyan style is so
        popular. It relieves the unbalanced burden at the ends of the comb which
        helps prevent weight born comb tearing. When the bees build new comb,
        they attach it everywhere, and these attachments can be removed and the
        bees will seldom reattach it again (though they sometimes do), however
        the burden is now solely on the top attachment, and here is where the
        shape of the comb becomes important. The trapaziod shape improves the
        center of gravity for the whole comb even at the edges and distributes
        the burden evenly. The square shape places greater strain on the upper
        corners than on the ends.

        --
        Scot Mc Pherson
        The Mc Pherson Family Honey Farms