Re: [TopHive] feeding in TBH's

  • Carolyn Chaney
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 10, 2006
      Hi,

      I've been struggling with the feeding problem too. I put my simple syrup
      (50-50) in mason jars with lids, punctured the lids to get seepage, glued
      wood pieces onto the lids to allow bee space and inverted the jars over a
      pie plate. When the jars seeped, bees drowned, so I've added sticks for
      them to crawl out of the plates. Ants are a problem, so I put Tanglefoot
      under the edges of the pie plates. What a drag.

      Carolyn

      "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
      --Mary Oliver

      On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, girl mark wrote:

      > What are you folks doing if you're feeding syrup to your bees?
      >
      > I just tried feeding for the first time (i'm in a mild climate and
      > they're out foraging the eucalyptus nectar right now)- I am only doing
      > it to feed essential oils for Varroa control.
      >
      > I used a plastic ziplock bag and poked some holes in it with a push pin
      > so it had a little seep, and placed the bag in an empty area behind the
      > honey storage zone. The holes did close up though- the push pin deforms
      > the plastic a little and the stretched portion closed up the hole. What
      > else would work, short of adding a 'real' feeder to the hive?
      >
      > Mark

    • Carolyn Chaney
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 10, 2006
        I don't get it. Why doesn't the syrup leak everywhere? And why don't the
        bees crawl inside and drown?

        On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, kgbenson wrote:

        > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, girl mark <girlmark_list_email@l...>
        > wrote:
        >
        >> I used a plastic ziplock bag
        >
        > I use baggies too, but slit them with a very sharp razor blade. Trust
        > me the syrup will not leak out, and the bees will ahve a much larger
        > place from which to sample.
        >
        > Also, some folks will refill such bags through the holes and do nto
        > report a problem with leaking.
        >
        > Keith

      • kgbenson
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 10, 2006
          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Carolyn Chaney <cchaney@s...> wrote:

          > I don't get it. Why doesn't the syrup leak everywhere?

          Magic.

          He-he, it is a surface tension kind of thing. Try it - it is amazing,
          but true.

          > And why don't the
          > bees crawl inside and drown?

          They simply are not inclined to. They approach the slit and the sugar
          incites them to extend their proboscus and drink. Kind of what they
          will do if you put some syrup or honey on the top of a bar and let
          them approach it. Bees generaly avoid getting sugar solutions on
          their bodies as it is detremental to them (and why they will
          feverishly lick it off themselves and each other if you spray them
          with the stuff, such as when you are hiving a package). Where they
          get into trouble is when A) lots of bees jostle each other and B) the
          set up accidentally dumps them in.

          Try a bag of sugar syrup in your sink, make sure the razor is very
          sharp and you will be amazed.

          Keith
        • Barry Lay
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 10, 2006
            Try this one:

            Make a top bar that is twice as wide as the regular ones - about 2 1/2" or 2 3/4". Make a hole in the middle, about 1 1/4" in diameter. Screw a mason jar lid with the little puncture holes in it, just like the entrance feeder someone described, to the bar covering the hole, and screw on the mason jar full of sugar water. Turn it upside down and use it in place of two unused top bars towards the back part of the hive. It works great.

            Barry

            Carolyn Chaney <cchaney@...> wrote:
            Hi,

            I've been struggling with the feeding problem too. I put my simple syrup
            (50-50) in mason jars with lids, punctured the lids to get seepage, glued
            wood pieces onto the lids to allow bee space and inverted the jars over a
            pie plate. When the jars seeped, bees drowned, so I've added sticks for
            them to crawl out of the plates. Ants are a problem, so I put Tanglefoot
            under the edges of the pie plates. What a drag.

            Carolyn

            "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
            --Mary Oliver

            On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, girl mark wrote:

            > What are you folks doing if you're feeding syrup to your bees?
            >
            > I just tried feeding for the first time (i'm in a mild climate and
            > they're out foraging the eucalyptus nectar right now)- I am only doing
            > it to feed essential oils for Varroa control.
            >
            > I used a plastic ziplock bag and poked some holes in it with a push pin
            > so it had a little seep, and placed the bag in an empty area behind the
            > honey storage zone. The holes did close up though- the push pin deforms
            > the plastic a little and the stretched portion closed up the hole. What
            > else would work, short of adding a 'real' feeder to the hive?
            >
            > Mark

            Beekeeping Tbh Beekeeping supplies Beekeeping equipment

            ---------------------------------

          • Keith Benson
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 10, 2006
              Barry Lay wrote:

              > Try this one:
              >
              > Make a top bar that is twice as wide as the regular ones - about 2
              > 1/2" or 2 3/4". Make a hole in the middle, about 1 1/4" in diameter.
              > Screw a mason jar lid with the little puncture holes in it, just like
              > the entrance feeder someone described, to the bar covering the hole,
              > and screw on the mason jar full of sugar water. Turn it upside down
              > and use it in place of two unused top bars towards the back part of
              > the hive. It works great.
              >
              > Barry

              Ecxellent idea! Got any pics?

              Keith
            • Rich M
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 10, 2006
                > > Make a top bar that is twice as wide as the regular ones - about 2
                > > 1/2" or 2 3/4". Make a hole in the middle, about 1 1/4" in diameter.
                > > Screw a mason jar lid with the little puncture holes in it, just like
                > > the entrance feeder someone described, to the bar covering the hole,
                > > and screw on the mason jar full of sugar water. Turn it upside down
                > > and use it in place of two unused top bars towards the back part of
                > > the hive. It works great.

                How do you put the hive top on with a jar on top of the bars?

                Rich M
              • Barry Lay
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 11, 2006
                  I slid the top so that the end stops at the mason jar and simply cut another piece of corrugated steel to fit around the jar and used that to cover what wasn't covered. I'll try to post some pics tonight.

                  Barry

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 11, 2006
                    Keith,

                    I was able to post some pics in a folder named "Avadhuta's Bees".
                    Hope it helps.

                    Barry

                    --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Keith Benson <kgbenson@s...> wrote:

                    > Barry Lay wrote:
                    >
                    > > Try this one:
                    > >
                    > > Make a top bar that is twice as wide as the regular ones -
                    about 2
                    > > 1/2" or 2 3/4". Make a hole in the middle, about 1 1/4" in
                    diameter.
                    > > Screw a mason jar lid with the little puncture holes in it, just
                    like
                    > > the entrance feeder someone described, to the bar covering the
                    hole,
                    > > and screw on the mason jar full of sugar water. Turn it upside
                    down
                    > > and use it in place of two unused top bars towards the back part
                    of
                    > > the hive. It works great.
                    > >
                    > > Barry
                    >

                    > Ecxellent idea! Got any pics?
                    >
                    > Keith

                  • Keith Benson
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 11, 2006
                      Barry Lay wrote:

                      > Keith,
                      >
                      > I was able to post some pics in a folder named "Avadhuta's Bees".
                      > Hope it helps.
                      >
                      > Barry

                      thanks!

                      Keith
                    • Carolyn Chaney
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 12, 2006
                        Great pictures...they help a lot. Thanks.

                        On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Barry Lay wrote:

                        > Keith,
                        >
                        > I was able to post some pics in a folder named "Avadhuta's Bees".
                        > Hope it helps.
                        >
                        > Barry
                        >
                        > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Keith Benson <kgbenson@s...> wrote:
                        >>

                        >> Barry Lay wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> Try this one:
                        >>>
                        >>> Make a top bar that is twice as wide as the regular ones -
                        > about 2
                        >>> 1/2" or 2 3/4". Make a hole in the middle, about 1 1/4" in
                        > diameter.
                        >>> Screw a mason jar lid with the little puncture holes in it, just
                        > like
                        >>> the entrance feeder someone described, to the bar covering the
                        > hole,
                        >>> and screw on the mason jar full of sugar water. Turn it upside
                        > down
                        >>> and use it in place of two unused top bars towards the back part
                        > of
                        >>> the hive. It works great.
                        >>>
                        >>> Barry
                        >>

                        >> Ecxellent idea! Got any pics?