Re: [TopHive] bees are clustering on the bottom of my TBH

  • P.H. Rankin Hansen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 26, 2013
      I can off hand think of three different reasons:

      Too much ventilation - they are trying to block it
      Bearding - hive is starting to get too warm.
      They are preparing to swarm

      --
      venlig hilsen / best regards

      Peter H. Rankin Hansen
      Galtenvej 9
      DK-8670 Låsby
      Danmark

      (+45) 7586 1688 / (+45) 2211 9611

      Si vis pacem, para bellum - if you want peace, prepare for war.

      Den 26-07-2013 03:15, KevinR skrev:
      > i have a TBH with a screened bottom. recently the bees or a large number of them have begun clustering on the bottom of the hive against the screened bottom.
      >
      > is this normal?

    • Barry Jackson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 26, 2013
        Yes this time of year
        On 26 Jul 2013 09:03, "KevinR" <gritgranite@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > i have a TBH with a screened bottom. recently the bees or a large number
        > of them have begun clustering on the bottom of the hive against the
        > screened bottom.
        >
        > is this normal?

      • Kevin Rarick
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 26, 2013
          It's quite warm out this time of year. Mid 81F/27C during the day and
          57F/14C at night. they've been doing this for a while so i don't think
          they're going to swarm. seems to be plenty of room in the hive still. a few
          bars left on each side. perhaps its just better temperature regulation?