bees are clustering on the bottom of my TBH

  • KevinR
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25, 2013
      i have a TBH with a screened bottom. recently the bees or a large number of them have begun clustering on the bottom of the hive against the screened bottom.

      is this normal?
    • P.H. Rankin Hansen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 26, 2013
        I can off hand think of three different reasons:

        Too much ventilation - they are trying to block it
        Bearding - hive is starting to get too warm.
        They are preparing to swarm

        --
        venlig hilsen / best regards

        Peter H. Rankin Hansen
        Galtenvej 9
        DK-8670 Låsby
        Danmark

        (+45) 7586 1688 / (+45) 2211 9611

        Si vis pacem, para bellum - if you want peace, prepare for war.

        Den 26-07-2013 03:15, KevinR skrev:
        > i have a TBH with a screened bottom. recently the bees or a large number of them have begun clustering on the bottom of the hive against the screened bottom.
        >
        > is this normal?

      • Barry Jackson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 26, 2013
          Yes this time of year
          On 26 Jul 2013 09:03, "KevinR" <gritgranite@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > i have a TBH with a screened bottom. recently the bees or a large number
          > of them have begun clustering on the bottom of the hive against the
          > screened bottom.
          >
          > is this normal?

        • Kevin Rarick
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 26, 2013
            It's quite warm out this time of year. Mid 81F/27C during the day and
            57F/14C at night. they've been doing this for a while so i don't think
            they're going to swarm. seems to be plenty of room in the hive still. a few
            bars left on each side. perhaps its just better temperature regulation?