Starting TBHs

  • geoffrey_roberts@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 25, 2013
      Of couple of weeks ago i bought 2 packages of bees from Pigeon Mountain in Georgia (also went to Chattanooga and Lookout Mt). i put then in 2 homemade TBHs (wood from Home Depot, etc).

      i next time i build the hives i will use pallets. (i am in central Florida, near the Mexican Gulf.) The pallets are 48" long. i don't know about the tbhs, i.e., what is the cheapest thing i can use? (Previously, i used 1"x2.") geoff
    • Blaine Nay
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 26, 2013
        Be very cautious about using pallets for a wood source. Pallets are
        often treated with chemicals that won't be good for the bees or the
        honey you harvest.

        Blaine Nay
        www.ironbee.us

        > Posted by: "geoffrey_roberts@..." geoffrey_roberts@...
        > geoffrey_roberts@...
        > Date: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:13 am ((PDT))
        >
        > Of couple of weeks ago i bought 2 packages of bees from Pigeon Mountain in
        > Georgia (also went to Chattanooga and Lookout Mt). i put then in 2 homemade
        > TBHs (wood from Home Depot, etc).
        >
        > i next time i build the hives i will use pallets. (i am in central
        > Florida, near the Mexican Gulf.) The pallets are 48" long. i don't know
        > about the tbhs, i.e., what is the cheapest thing i can use? (Previously, i
        > used 1"x2.") geoff
      • tomzboxathotmaildotcom
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 26, 2013
          Geoff,

          The absolute cheapest construction materials are pieces of scrap wood you collect for free. The cheapest materials you can buy are composite woods like MDF; but never use those, they wont stand up.

          The cheapest practical material is 1/2"or 3/4" plywood. Plywood has the strength and the dimensions to be very efficient for design and construction. I've built most of my dozen or so kTBH hives out of plywood. Paint on the exterior surfaces will make them last for years.

          Now ... you are about to hear a buncha folks post warnings that somehow plywood will outgas something bad for our bees. These people will be wrong. Exterior and construction grade plywood today -- and for about the last decade -- has been manufactured using soy-based resins and does not outgas anything harmful.

          If you look around on the 'net for pics and construction plans for TBH hives, you'll see that most of them are now plywood.

          good luck.

          Tom Warren
          Pleasant Hill, OR

          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "geoffrey_roberts@..." <geoffrey_roberts@...> wrote:

          > Of couple of weeks ago i bought 2 packages of bees from Pigeon Mountain in Georgia (also went to Chattanooga and Lookout Mt). i put then in 2 homemade TBHs (wood from Home Depot, etc).
          >
          > i next time i build the hives i will use pallets. (i am in central Florida, near the Mexican Gulf.) The pallets are 48" long. i don't know about the tbhs, i.e., what is the cheapest thing i can use? (Previously, i used 1"x2.") geoff

        • karonadams
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3 4:00 AM
            I made a couple of TBH hives. I wanted to see how quickly and easily I could do this. So, I bought two 1x12x8 a 1x12x6 and a 1x8x8. cut the two 8' boards in half, the 6' board in 1/4. I found the center of the 18" board and measured 4" to center. The, I'll mark a space that is the line on both side of the long board running from the center bottom of the 18 to the top, outer corner. Just drilled some pilot holes, screwed through the ends into the long boards. Staples 1/4 hardware cloth to the bottom. then, I set the hive on two stacks of cinder blocks at the ends. cut some firring strips to size for the top bars, stacked them side by side on top and I'm done. the 1x8, now 4 feet long, is a bottom board. I can have it under the hive or I can lift off the hive and remove it to allow for better air circulation.

            Two hiver for less than $100