RE: [TopHive] Re: Planning to start TBH

  • karon
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2013
      I have had a chance to glance over that site. And I cannot be absolutely
      certain I am using the hive that is being SOLD as a Golden Mean Hive. I
      Heard the term and did some calculations and realized that 1x12 and 1x5
      would make excellent KTBH and would correspond the golden mean.

      I cannot swear that I am onto the same aspect of the golden ratio as is
      being advertised. But, as a PHI fan, this is where I would go using the
      Golden Ratio and in this design, if I cannot or do not want to buy TBH bars,
      ordinary Lang bars will fit, just fine. What I may do is get a wax cord and
      run it in the depression in those bars. They'll fit just fine.

      When I mention Golden Ratio in relation to this, a 1x6 as a baseboard, with
      1x12 attached will give me slightly over 5 inches across the bottom. A
      1x12x6 can be cut into quarters. Two quarters for the side boards and the
      other two for followers. If you spread the sides to the corners of the end
      boards at the top, the distance between the top edges is a little over 17
      inches which fits the Lang bars perfectly.

      Sounds like you had yours put together exactly as I plan to do mine. Just a
      few cuts at Home Depot and the things will need nothing other than wood
      screws. I don't plan to use foundation. INHO, we CAN spend a fortune on
      specialized Top Bar Hives and special bars for them but, seems to me, one of
      the main points of this type of beekeeping is to control expense. I really
      LOVE the idea of being able to put together a hive with all the room I'll
      ever need for honey production and have it cost even less than I spent to
      start with the brood chamber and still ion need of supers. I like being able
      to keep more bees for less money. Call me cheap (though, I prefer frugal<G>)

      I am hoping to populate these hives with swarms. I have my name out to local
      folks hoping for a swarm call. Then again, I may go ahead and buy a package
      to start one of them.

      Karon Adams

      Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

      You can send a Rosary to a soldier!