RE: [TopHive] Entrance

  • karon
    Message 1 of 7 , May 26, 2013
      You know, I have seen some TBH hives for sale that are 2 feet long and, TBH,
      I cannot see that working AT ALL where I live. Perhaps that is because some
      people live in more northern climates. I live in South East Tennessee. Bees
      fly here all year long. There are really only a few DAYS in the year, much
      less weeks or months, when bees don't fly. I cannot imagine a TBH less than
      3 feet even beginning to be long enough to produce without a swarm. I am
      planning on making mine 4'. I think that will be a good number. I can build
      up good, strong colonies that will produce fairly well.

      Of course, that also makes building the hive VERY easy. I was at the
      hardware store yesterday and I realized that building two 4' hives would
      cost me less than $50 (not including the top bars) So, Probably Tuesday,
      I'll go over to the store and if I can talk them into doing it, I'll have
      them cut my board lengths for me. I need a 1x6x8 feet cut in half. That is
      the bottom for two hives.

      Then, a 1X12x8 cut in half for the sides. A 1x12x6 cut into quarters for the
      ends and follower boards. That way, the hive is about the same comb area as
      a lang stacked hive of about 4 deep hive bodies. That is a full season here.

      Karon Adams

      Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

      You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

      www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary