Re: [TopHive] Entrance

  • Susan Kegley
    Message 1 of 7 , May 25, 2013
      I agree with Stephen. I have one hive with an entrance on the end and
      the bees seem totally happy with it. But inspections are more difficult
      because you have to start from the far end and go through all of the
      bars to get to the ones closest to the entrance to inspect them. But you
      get good at moving multiple bars at a time to avoid squashing bees.
      Workable both ways.

      Susan

      On 5/25/13 8:16 AM, Stephen Hansen wrote:

      > Karon,
      >
      > A wise man once said, "Ask 12 beekeepers a question and you will get 12
      > different answers." Now I'm not very wise, but I am a beekeeper so here's
      > my take on this.
      >
      > I put the openings on the end boards of my TBHs, Normally, I have one
      > opening closed off, only opening it if I want to split the hive or use the
      > far end as a nuc. The bees don't seem to mind crawling a bit more to get
      > to where they need to be, at least there have been no complaints as yet.
      >
      > The main advantage I see in this arrangement is that brood comb will
      > accumulate near the end with the opening and the comb further in tends to
      > be pure honeycomb. As the colony grows into the hive you may need to shift
      > the honey comb bars to give the bees more brood space, but that's
      > something
      > you need to be aware of regardless of where you put the entrance
      > opening(s).
      >
      > Contrarily yours,
      > Stephen
      >
      > On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 5:21 AM, karon <karon@...
      > <mailto:karon%40karonadams.com>> wrote:
      >
      > > Ok, I am planning to build a Golden Mean hive and I need to decide
      > how to
      > > place the entrance. Would you recommend drilling holes that can be
      > plugged
      > > with corks or cut out a long continual opening? Where would you put the
      > > entrance? In the middle of the hive on the side or would you place it on
      > > one
      > > end or the other of the hive. Seems to me it would do well in the
      > center of
      > > the long side. That way, the bees would not have to crawl the length
      > of the
      > > entire hive to come to the working section of the hive. They would be
      > > working from a center brood comb, then, honey comb could be deposited on
      > > either side. Is it the experience of the group that this is the
      > process? or
      > > will they fill one end or the other and THEN swap ends?
      > >

      > > Now, I live in the Deep South. South East Tennessee. So, we have a LONG
      > > season. Some people would say we almost don't have a winter so far
      > as bees
      > > are concerned. There are very few periods of time when the temp is
      > pretty
      > > chilly. But, in all, Winter happens 3-6 times per year and is defined as
      > > the temps run about 20 at night and 40 in the day. Then, it warms
      > back to
      > > 50s-60s+ in the day and somewhere in the upper 30's at night. So, I
      > think
      > > TBH would give me the advantage of the bees working whenever THEY like.
      > >

      > > Anyway, thoughts?
      > >

      > > Karon Adams
      > >
      > > Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)
      > >
      > > You can send a Rosary to a soldier!
      > >
      > > www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary
      > >
      > > www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

      Susan E. Kegley, Ph.D., Principal and CEO
      Pesticide Research Institute
      1400 Shattuck Ave, #8
      Berkeley, CA 94709

      Phone: (510) 705-1874
      Fax: (510) 705-1683
      E-mail: skegley@...
      Web: http://www.pesticideresearch.com

      PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
      This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law as attorney client and work-product confidential or otherwise confidential communications. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication or other use of a transmission received in error is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, immediately notify us at the above telephone number.

    • roger g
      Message 2 of 7 , May 26, 2013
        I'm another topbeek to chime in LOL I like and use plans from the bee wrangler, i think the plans are on biobees.com. I put main entrance on the ends with some 1" holes along sides i plug and remove as they need. seems to work great for me.
        Top bars are great when i do bee tours at the vineyard, they'er much easier to pop open and show people. the bees seem much more docil in topbars than the langs and easier to get to areas to show honey & brood. roger NJ

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "karon" <karon@...> wrote:

        > Ok, I am planning to build a Golden Mean hive and I need to decide how to
        > place the entrance. Would you recommend drilling holes that can be plugged
        > with corks or cut out a long continual opening? Where would you put the
        > entrance? In the middle of the hive on the side or would you place it on one
        > end or the other of the hive. Seems to me it would do well in the center of
        > the long side. That way, the bees would not have to crawl the length of the
        > entire hive to come to the working section of the hive. They would be
        > working from a center brood comb, then, honey comb could be deposited on
        > either side. Is it the experience of the group that this is the process? or
        > will they fill one end or the other and THEN swap ends?
        >

        > Now, I live in the Deep South. South East Tennessee. So, we have a LONG
        > season. Some people would say we almost don't have a winter so far as bees
        > are concerned. There are very few periods of time when the temp is pretty
        > chilly. But, in all, Winter happens 3-6 times per year and is defined as
        > the temps run about 20 at night and 40 in the day. Then, it warms back to
        > 50s-60s+ in the day and somewhere in the upper 30's at night. So, I think
        > TBH would give me the advantage of the bees working whenever THEY like.
        >

        > Anyway, thoughts?
        >

        > Karon Adams
        >
        > Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)
        >
        > You can send a Rosary to a soldier!
        >
        > www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary
        >
        > www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

      • Maureen Russell
        Message 3 of 7 , May 26, 2013
          Hi I used Les Crowder's plans. He is in alburquerque,NM. His website is www.fortheloveofthebees.com. He has also written a book titled "top-bar beekeeping" by Les Crowder and Heather Harrell. I have 5 TBH. They do great in his hives. I was very intrigued by the golden mean hive but it is a little too small in length. I found in miami that I needed a much bigger tbh. I believe mine are 48 inch long, I placed my entrances in the front by my landing board.
          Maureen

          Sent from my iPad

          On May 26, 2013, at 7:19 AM, "roger g" <toad08551@...> wrote:

          > I'm another topbeek to chime in LOL I like and use plans from the bee wrangler, i think the plans are on biobees.com. I put main entrance on the ends with some 1" holes along sides i plug and remove as they need. seems to work great for me.
          > Top bars are great when i do bee tours at the vineyard, they'er much easier to pop open and show people. the bees seem much more docil in topbars than the langs and easier to get to areas to show honey & brood. roger NJ
          >
          > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "karon" <karon@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Ok, I am planning to build a Golden Mean hive and I need to decide how to
          > > place the entrance. Would you recommend drilling holes that can be plugged
          > > with corks or cut out a long continual opening? Where would you put the
          > > entrance? In the middle of the hive on the side or would you place it on one
          > > end or the other of the hive. Seems to me it would do well in the center of
          > > the long side. That way, the bees would not have to crawl the length of the
          > > entire hive to come to the working section of the hive. They would be
          > > working from a center brood comb, then, honey comb could be deposited on
          > > either side. Is it the experience of the group that this is the process? or
          > > will they fill one end or the other and THEN swap ends?
          > >

          > > Now, I live in the Deep South. South East Tennessee. So, we have a LONG
          > > season. Some people would say we almost don't have a winter so far as bees
          > > are concerned. There are very few periods of time when the temp is pretty
          > > chilly. But, in all, Winter happens 3-6 times per year and is defined as
          > > the temps run about 20 at night and 40 in the day. Then, it warms back to
          > > 50s-60s+ in the day and somewhere in the upper 30's at night. So, I think
          > > TBH would give me the advantage of the bees working whenever THEY like.
          > >

          > > Anyway, thoughts?
          > >

          > > Karon Adams
          > >
          > > Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)
          > >
          > > You can send a Rosary to a soldier!
          > >
          > > www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary
          > >
          > > www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

        • karon
          Message 4 of 7 , May 26, 2013
            You know, I have seen some TBH hives for sale that are 2 feet long and, TBH,
            I cannot see that working AT ALL where I live. Perhaps that is because some
            people live in more northern climates. I live in South East Tennessee. Bees
            fly here all year long. There are really only a few DAYS in the year, much
            less weeks or months, when bees don't fly. I cannot imagine a TBH less than
            3 feet even beginning to be long enough to produce without a swarm. I am
            planning on making mine 4'. I think that will be a good number. I can build
            up good, strong colonies that will produce fairly well.

            Of course, that also makes building the hive VERY easy. I was at the
            hardware store yesterday and I realized that building two 4' hives would
            cost me less than $50 (not including the top bars) So, Probably Tuesday,
            I'll go over to the store and if I can talk them into doing it, I'll have
            them cut my board lengths for me. I need a 1x6x8 feet cut in half. That is
            the bottom for two hives.

            Then, a 1X12x8 cut in half for the sides. A 1x12x6 cut into quarters for the
            ends and follower boards. That way, the hive is about the same comb area as
            a lang stacked hive of about 4 deep hive bodies. That is a full season here.