Entrance

  • karon
    Message 1 of 7 , May 25 5:21 AM
      Ok, I am planning to build a Golden Mean hive and I need to decide how to
      place the entrance. Would you recommend drilling holes that can be plugged
      with corks or cut out a long continual opening? Where would you put the
      entrance? In the middle of the hive on the side or would you place it on one
      end or the other of the hive. Seems to me it would do well in the center of
      the long side. That way, the bees would not have to crawl the length of the
      entire hive to come to the working section of the hive. They would be
      working from a center brood comb, then, honey comb could be deposited on
      either side. Is it the experience of the group that this is the process? or
      will they fill one end or the other and THEN swap ends?

      Now, I live in the Deep South. South East Tennessee. So, we have a LONG
      season. Some people would say we almost don't have a winter so far as bees
      are concerned. There are very few periods of time when the temp is pretty
      chilly. But, in all, Winter happens 3-6 times per year and is defined as
      the temps run about 20 at night and 40 in the day. Then, it warms back to
      50s-60s+ in the day and somewhere in the upper 30's at night. So, I think
      TBH would give me the advantage of the bees working whenever THEY like.

      Anyway, thoughts?

      Karon Adams

      Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

      You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

      www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary

      www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

    • Susan Kegley
      Message 2 of 7 , May 25 6:33 AM
        Hi Karon,

        If you drill holes instead of a long continuous opening you have more
        options. Having the entrance in the middle is best for the reason you
        said, but also because you can work the hive from either end. Faster for
        doing inspections. But if you drill three large-ish holes (about 2"
        diameter) in the middle and on both ends (see Bee Thinking
        <http://www.beethinking.com/top-bar-hive> hives (Image #5) for an
        example), you can have multiple colonies in a single hive body, at least
        for a short while, like when you capture a swarm or do a split. They
        grow out of it pretty fast in the springtime, but it is like having an
        extra hive body when you most need it!

        Good luck!

        Susan

        On 5/25/13 5:21 AM, karon wrote:

        > Ok, I am planning to build a Golden Mean hive and I need to decide how to
        > place the entrance. Would you recommend drilling holes that can be plugged
        > with corks or cut out a long continual opening? Where would you put the
        > entrance? In the middle of the hive on the side or would you place it
        > on one
        > end or the other of the hive. Seems to me it would do well in the
        > center of
        > the long side. That way, the bees would not have to crawl the length
        > of the
        > entire hive to come to the working section of the hive. They would be
        > working from a center brood comb, then, honey comb could be deposited on
        > either side. Is it the experience of the group that this is the
        > process? or
        > will they fill one end or the other and THEN swap ends?
        >
        > Now, I live in the Deep South. South East Tennessee. So, we have a LONG
        > season. Some people would say we almost don't have a winter so far as bees
        > are concerned. There are very few periods of time when the temp is pretty
        > chilly. But, in all, Winter happens 3-6 times per year and is defined as
        > the temps run about 20 at night and 40 in the day. Then, it warms back to
        > 50s-60s+ in the day and somewhere in the upper 30's at night. So, I think
        > TBH would give me the advantage of the bees working whenever THEY like.
        >
        > Anyway, thoughts?
        >
        > Karon Adams
        >
        > Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)
        >
        > You can send a Rosary to a soldier!
        >
        > www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary
        >
        > www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

        Susan E. Kegley, Ph.D., Principal and CEO
        Pesticide Research Institute
        1400 Shattuck Ave, #8
        Berkeley, CA 94709

        Phone: (510) 705-1874
        Fax: (510) 705-1683
        E-mail: skegley@...
        Web: http://www.pesticideresearch.com

        PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
        This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law as attorney client and work-product confidential or otherwise confidential communications. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication or other use of a transmission received in error is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, immediately notify us at the above telephone number.

      • Stephen Hansen
        Message 3 of 7 , May 25 8:16 AM
          Karon,

          A wise man once said, "Ask 12 beekeepers a question and you will get 12
          different answers." Now I'm not very wise, but I am a beekeeper so here's
          my take on this.

          I put the openings on the end boards of my TBHs, Normally, I have one
          opening closed off, only opening it if I want to split the hive or use the
          far end as a nuc. The bees don't seem to mind crawling a bit more to get
          to where they need to be, at least there have been no complaints as yet.

          The main advantage I see in this arrangement is that brood comb will
          accumulate near the end with the opening and the comb further in tends to
          be pure honeycomb. As the colony grows into the hive you may need to shift
          the honey comb bars to give the bees more brood space, but that's something
          you need to be aware of regardless of where you put the entrance opening(s).

          Contrarily yours,
          Stephen

          Message 4 of 7 , May 25 8:52 AM
            I agree with Stephen. I have one hive with an entrance on the end and
            the bees seem totally happy with it. But inspections are more difficult
            because you have to start from the far end and go through all of the
            bars to get to the ones closest to the entrance to inspect them. But you
            get good at moving multiple bars at a time to avoid squashing bees.
            Workable both ways.

            Susan

            On 5/25/13 8:16 AM, Stephen Hansen wrote:

> [...]

            Berkeley, CA 94709

            Phone: (510) 705-1874
            Fax: (510) 705-1683
            E-mail: skegley@...
            Web: http://www.pesticideresearch.com

            PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
            This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law as attorney client and work-product confidential or otherwise confidential communications. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication or other use of a transmission received in error is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, immediately notify us at the above telephone number.

          • roger g
            Message 5 of 7 , May 26 4:19 AM
              I'm another topbeek to chime in LOL I like and use plans from the bee wrangler, i think the plans are on biobees.com. I put main entrance on the ends with some 1" holes along sides i plug and remove as they need. seems to work great for me.
              Top bars are great when i do bee tours at the vineyard, they'er much easier to pop open and show people. the bees seem much more docil in topbars than the langs and easier to get to areas to show honey & brood. roger NJ

              --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "karon" <karon@...> wrote:

              > Ok, I am planning to build a Golden Mean hive and I need to decide how to
              > place the entrance. Would you recommend drilling holes that can be plugged
              > with corks or cut out a long continual opening? Where would you put the
              > entrance? In the middle of the hive on the side or would you place it on one
              > end or the other of the hive. Seems to me it would do well in the center of
              > the long side. That way, the bees would not have to crawl the length of the
              > entire hive to come to the working section of the hive. They would be
              > working from a center brood comb, then, honey comb could be deposited on
              > either side. Is it the experience of the group that this is the process? or
              > will they fill one end or the other and THEN swap ends?
              >

              > Now, I live in the Deep South. South East Tennessee. So, we have a LONG
              > season. Some people would say we almost don't have a winter so far as bees
              > are concerned. There are very few periods of time when the temp is pretty
              > chilly. But, in all, Winter happens 3-6 times per year and is defined as
              > the temps run about 20 at night and 40 in the day. Then, it warms back to
              > 50s-60s+ in the day and somewhere in the upper 30's at night. So, I think
              > TBH would give me the advantage of the bees working whenever THEY like.
              >

              > Anyway, thoughts?
              >

              > Karon Adams
              >
              > Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)
              >
              > You can send a Rosary to a soldier!
              >
              > www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary
              >
              > www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

            • Maureen Russell
              Message 6 of 7 , May 26 6:34 AM
                Hi I used Les Crowder's plans. He is in alburquerque,NM. His website is www.fortheloveofthebees.com. He has also written a book titled "top-bar beekeeping" by Les Crowder and Heather Harrell. I have 5 TBH. They do great in his hives. I was very intrigued by the golden mean hive but it is a little too small in length. I found in miami that I needed a much bigger tbh. I believe mine are 48 inch long, I placed my entrances in the front by my landing board.
                Maureen

                Sent from my iPad

                Message 7 of 7 , May 26 2:09 PM
                  You know, I have seen some TBH hives for sale that are 2 feet long and, TBH,
                  I cannot see that working AT ALL where I live. Perhaps that is because some
                  people live in more northern climates. I live in South East Tennessee. Bees
                  fly here all year long. There are really only a few DAYS in the year, much
                  less weeks or months, when bees don't fly. I cannot imagine a TBH less than
                  3 feet even beginning to be long enough to produce without a swarm. I am
                  planning on making mine 4'. I think that will be a good number. I can build
                  up good, strong colonies that will produce fairly well.

                  Of course, that also makes building the hive VERY easy. I was at the
                  hardware store yesterday and I realized that building two 4' hives would
                  cost me less than $50 (not including the top bars) So, Probably Tuesday,
                  I'll go over to the store and if I can talk them into doing it, I'll have
                  them cut my board lengths for me. I need a 1x6x8 feet cut in half. That is
                  the bottom for two hives.

                  Then, a 1X12x8 cut in half for the sides. A 1x12x6 cut into quarters for the
                  ends and follower boards. That way, the hive is about the same comb area as
                  a lang stacked hive of about 4 deep hive bodies. That is a full season here.

                  On 5/25/13 5:21 AM, karon wrote:

                  > Ok, I am planning to build a Golden Mean hive and I need to decide how to
                  > place the entrance. Would you recommend drilling holes that can be plugged
                  > with corks or cut out a long continual opening? Where would you put the
                  > entrance? In the middle of the hive on the side or would you place it
                  > on one
                  > end or the other of the hive. Seems to me it would do well in the
                  > center of
                  > the long side. That way, the bees would not have to crawl the length
                  > of the
                  > entire hive to come to the working section of the hive. They would be
                  > working from a center brood comb, then, honey comb could be deposited on
                  > either side. Is it the experience of the group that this is the
                  > process? or
                  > will they fill one end or the other and THEN swap ends?
                  >
                  > Now, I live in the Deep South. South East Tennessee. So, we have a LONG
                  > season. Some people would say we almost don't have a winter so far as bees
                  > are concerned. There are very few periods of time when the temp is pretty
                  > chilly. But, in all, Winter happens 3-6 times per year and is defined as
                  > the temps run about 20 at night and 40 in the day. Then, it warms back to
                  > 50s-60s+ in the day and somewhere in the upper 30's at night. So, I think
                  > TBH would give me the advantage of the bees working whenever THEY like.
                  >
                  > Anyway, thoughts?
                  >
                  > Karon Adams
                  >
                  > Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)
                  >
                  > You can send a Rosary to a soldier!
                  >
                  > www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary
                  >
                  > www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

                  Susan E. Kegley, Ph.D., Principal and CEO
                  Pesticide Research Institute
                  1400 Shattuck Ave, #8
                  Berkeley, CA 94709

                  Phone: (510) 705-1874
                  Fax: (510) 705-1683
                  E-mail: skegley@...
                  <mailto:skegley%40pesticideresearch.com>