Could this mean 2 queens?

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2013
      Just installed a new package into a TBH yesterday evening. Peeked in on them this morning and the large ball of bees is not around the hanging queen cage. The cage only has about a dozen or so around it. Could this mean there was another queen in the package that is now in the middle of the large group? This is only my second installation so not sure what to make of this. I assume if there is another queen, releasing the boxed one would mean a certain death for her right? Should I try to split them up? This is only a 2# package into a rather small hive, but I do have another one available.

      Thanks for any input.

      Debbie Jennings
      Merlin, Oregon
    • Keith Benson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 11, 2013
        That would be one decent explanation.

        Keith

        Sent from my iPhone

        On May 9, 2013, at 2:10 PM, "Debbie" <Cubzwin1908@...> wrote:

        > Just installed a new package into a TBH yesterday evening. Peeked in on them this morning and the large ball of bees is not around the hanging queen cage. The cage only has about a dozen or so around it. Could this mean there was another queen in the package that is now in the middle of the large group? This is only my second installation so not sure what to make of this. I assume if there is another queen, releasing the boxed one would mean a certain death for her right? Should I try to split them up? This is only a 2# package into a rather small hive, but I do have another one available.
        >
        > Thanks for any input.
        >
        > Debbie Jennings
        > Merlin, Oregon

      • roger g
        Message 3 of 3 , May 12, 2013
          Do they have drawn comb?? could be just hanging from a bar building comb, Many times they will hang down several deep when building comb. I've pulled out a bar already with bees chained down over half the depth of the hive Roger NJ