Re: installing bees

  • stevenogborn
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2013
      --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "amyhan@..." <amyhan@...> wrote:

      > We installed our first bees on Wednesday and by today they had all left. I'm pretty sure the queen got out to soon and she probably flew off with the hive. Does anyone have any tips? We are going to give it another shot.

      Make sure,if you have screened bottoms, that they are closed until the colony has a good amount of brood started before opening them.
      Clipped queens help to prevent absconding. If the queen can't go with them, they realize that and return back to close to where they absconded from. A couple of years ago, I had to put my queens back into their hives a couple of times each. As soon as I closed the screened bottoms on my hives, they settled down and got to work.
    • Kristal Freeman
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2013
        We installed last sunday. First time for me and I tend to over think everything. It has gone well and they are drawing comb on 3 bars as of yesterday.
        We have a solid bottom hive.
        We melted beeswax all aver the exterior of our hive as our weather proofing. Added a follower board feeder, rubbed beeswax inside the hive as well as placing a small chunk of wax on the bottom. We also put in 3 drops of lemongrass essential oil and a pollen patty.
        We made sure the package had been together for 3 days before we installed them too. We didn't hang the queen but placed her cage on the bottom near the entrance.
        Our entrance is on the east side at the south end of the hive. It is a single entrance 3/8" x 6"
        Since we are newbees I have given you as much detail as I can, not sure what helped and what didn't. We even had some bees trying to take up residence in our hive before our install.

        Kris