Re: [TopHive] Re: Hello from South Carolina

  • Joe Caracausa
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 26, 2013
      In my opinion, the main drawback to TBH is that there is very limited space and you have to rob honey almost twice a month (maybe weekly) to keep the bees from running out of space. I tried building a 'super' that ran full length of the TBH box, but it was also very impractical. I used 'frames' going the long way and there was not a good way to get honey out of them. I used empty frames with a strip of foundation along the top. I am sure there has to be a flexible TBH system that can allow for less intervention during the honey flow, but I have not seen one yet.

      "A government that controls your mortgage, your student loan, your car loan, your retirement savings, your healthcare, your right to own property and to defend your liberties- with a gun if necessary- is a government that owns your liberty and just rents it back to you for a while at election time."
      -- John Ransom, columnist

      Joe Caracausa
      jcarac@...

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 26, 2013
        Yes, I'm running into the same thing, and having to take at least a
        little brood at the same time. Is it just my queen (who seems to use
        every comb for the brood nest) or is this pretty normal?

        Susan

        On 3/26/13 7:32 AM, Joe Caracausa wrote:

        > In my opinion, the main drawback to TBH is that there is very limited
        > space and you have to rob honey almost twice a month (maybe weekly) to
        > keep the bees from running out of space. I tried building a 'super'
        > that ran full length of the TBH box, but it was also very impractical.
        > I used 'frames' going the long way and there was not a good way to get
        > honey out of them. I used empty frames with a strip of foundation
        > along the top. I am sure there has to be a flexible TBH system that
        > can allow for less intervention during the honey flow, but I have not
        > seen one yet.
        >
        > "A government that controls your mortgage, your student loan, your car
        > loan, your retirement savings, your healthcare, your right to own
        > property and to defend your liberties- with a gun if necessary- is a
        > government that owns your liberty and just rents it back to you for a
        > while at election time."
        > -- John Ransom, columnist
        >

        > Joe Caracausa
        > jcarac@... <mailto:jcarac%40aol.com>

        Susan E. Kegley, Ph.D., Principal and CEO
        Pesticide Research Institute
        1400 Shattuck Ave, #8
        Berkeley, CA 94709

        Phone: (510) 705-1874
        Fax: (510) 705-1683
        E-mail: skegley@...
        Web: http://www.pesticideresearch.com

        PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
        This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law as attorney client and work-product confidential or otherwise confidential communications. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication or other use of a transmission received in error is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, immediately notify us at the above telephone number.

      • Kewisch, Jorg
        Message 3 of 8 , May 11 8:09 AM
          Can you cut a queen excluder to size and use it in a THB, or will the bees cover it with wax?

          Jorg

          E-mail: skegley@...<mailto:skegley%40pesticideresearch.com>
          Web: http://www.pesticideresearch.com

          PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
          This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law as attorney client and work-product confidential or otherwise confidential communications. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication or other use of a transmission received in error is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, immediately notify us at the above telephone number.

        • Keith Benson
          Message 4 of 8 , May 11 10:42 AM
            As long as you respect bee space this works.

            Keith

            Sent from my iPhone