TBH made from a plastic drum RE: [TopHive] Hello from South Carolina

  • Brent, Michael D
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26 4:40 AM
      You can also try a TBH made from a plastic drum. I built one of these recently, and I should have a nuc to put in it within the next week or so (so I can't tell you how well the bees like it-I currently have 2 langs, but decided to try a TBH as well this year).

      http://www.velacreations.com/food/animals/bees/item/38-honey-cow.html

      You can usually find plastic drums for free (this set of plans calls for a 55 gallon, but maybe try a 40 gallon if you want to start small-I found that many car wash operators get soap in these drums-I found one in my area who recycles the 55's, but discards the 40's, so they were happy to give me one). I probably spent less than $20 on lumber and hardware to make mine (and you could go even cheaper if you have the right scrap lumber in your barn, workshop, etc). A couple of hours of time, plus some basic tools (I used a side cutter to cut the plastic drum, a skill saw to cut the lumber, and a drill/electric screw driver to assemble it all), and you're done with the basic hive. Add some caulk as needed, paint it if you want it to be prettier, and add bees.

      Mike Brent
      Nashville, TN