Re: [TopHive] Hello from South Carolina

  • Maureen Russell
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 25, 2013
      I recommend les crowder's plans his website www.fortheloveofbees.com .I have built all my TBHs following his plans.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Mar 25, 2013, at 1:26 PM, "REP" <reprosser@...> wrote:

      > Hi all
      >
      > Just getting started with bee keeping this spring. Have hooked up with
      > local bee keepers, taken classes, ordered material (Lang, gear, etc)
      > plan to install two nucs in a couple of weeks. Most (all?) of the local
      > bee keepers use Langstroth hives, so I will start learning with them,
      > and have the support and guidance of the locals.
      >
      > I also want to build a TBH to experience the differences in the hive
      > styles. I plan to build my own - as I have time - and if I happen to
      > catch a swarm, they will have a chance to reside in the TBH.
      >
      > I will be monitoring the group and reading to get as much knowledge as I
      > can.
      >
      > rick

    • roger g
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 26, 2013
        i have several topbar hives and langs. topbars seem more docil when working. I build my own and use plans from biobees.com. i like this stile much better. i have one like less's and never put bees in someone gave me. I'm donating it top a 4H group this spring. I just made one this winter that will accept 2 lang honey supers I hope to try out. roger NJ

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Maureen Russell <maureen.schoolcraftrussell@...> wrote:

        > I recommend les crowder's plans his website www.fortheloveofbees.com .I have built all my TBHs following his plans.
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On Mar 25, 2013, at 1:26 PM, "REP" <reprosser@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi all
        > >
        > > Just getting started with bee keeping this spring. Have hooked up with
        > > local bee keepers, taken classes, ordered material (Lang, gear, etc)
        > > plan to install two nucs in a couple of weeks. Most (all?) of the local
        > > bee keepers use Langstroth hives, so I will start learning with them,
        > > and have the support and guidance of the locals.
        > >
        > > I also want to build a TBH to experience the differences in the hive
        > > styles. I plan to build my own - as I have time - and if I happen to
        > > catch a swarm, they will have a chance to reside in the TBH.
        > >
        > > I will be monitoring the group and reading to get as much knowledge as I
        > > can.
        > >
        > > rick

      • R Prosser
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 26, 2013
          I will have to look into the option of being able to accept Lang supers.
          Kinda seems like a conflict in purpose? Maybe a hybrid is the better solution?
          What is the benefit of adding Lang supers instead of expanding lengthwise? Flexibility could be a good thing. Are the Lang frames foundation-less?

          I would probably build the TBH with the option (sizing?) to accept supers - even if I did not decide to use them. It should not hurt anything.

          rick

          ________________________________
          i have several topbar hives and langs. topbars seem more docil when working. I build my own and use plans from biobees.com. i like this stile much better. i have one like less's and never put bees in someone gave me. I'm donating it top a 4H group this spring. I just made one this winter that will accept 2 lang honey supers I hope to try out. roger NJ

          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Maureen Russell <maureen.schoolcraftrussell@...> wrote:

          > I recommend les crowder's plans his website www.fortheloveofbees.com .I have built all my TBHs following his plans.
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On Mar 25, 2013, at 1:26 PM, "REP" <reprosser@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi all
          > >
          > > Just getting started with bee keeping this spring. Have hooked up with
          > > local bee keepers, taken classes, ordered material (Lang, gear, etc)
          > > plan to install two nucs in a couple of weeks. Most (all?) of the local
          > > bee keepers use Langstroth hives, so I will start learning with them,
          > > and have the support and guidance of the locals.
          > >
          > > I also want to build a TBH to experience the differences in the hive
          > > styles. I plan to build my own - as I have time - and if I happen to
          > > catch a swarm, they will have a chance to reside in the TBH.
          > >
          > > I will be monitoring the group and reading to get as much knowledge as I
          > > can.
          > >
          > > rick

        • Joe Caracausa
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 26, 2013
            In my opinion, the main drawback to TBH is that there is very limited space and you have to rob honey almost twice a month (maybe weekly) to keep the bees from running out of space. I tried building a 'super' that ran full length of the TBH box, but it was also very impractical. I used 'frames' going the long way and there was not a good way to get honey out of them. I used empty frames with a strip of foundation along the top. I am sure there has to be a flexible TBH system that can allow for less intervention during the honey flow, but I have not seen one yet.

            "A government that controls your mortgage, your student loan, your car loan, your retirement savings, your healthcare, your right to own property and to defend your liberties- with a gun if necessary- is a government that owns your liberty and just rents it back to you for a while at election time."
            -- John Ransom, columnist

            Joe Caracausa
            jcarac@...

            i have several topbar hives and langs. topbars seem more docil when working. I build my own and use plans from biobees.com. i like this stile much better. i have one like less's and never put bees in someone gave me. I'm donating it top a 4H group this spring. I just made one this winter that will accept 2 lang honey supers I hope to try out. roger NJ

            --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Maureen Russell <maureen.schoolcraftrussell@...> wrote:

            > I recommend les crowder's plans his website www.fortheloveofbees.com .I have built all my TBHs following his plans.
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Mar 25, 2013, at 1:26 PM, "REP" <reprosser@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi all
            > >
            > > Just getting started with bee keeping this spring. Have hooked up with
            > > local bee keepers, taken classes, ordered material (Lang, gear, etc)
            > > plan to install two nucs in a couple of weeks. Most (all?) of the local
            > > bee keepers use Langstroth hives, so I will start learning with them,
            > > and have the support and guidance of the locals.
            > >
            > > I also want to build a TBH to experience the differences in the hive
            > > styles. I plan to build my own - as I have time - and if I happen to
            > > catch a swarm, they will have a chance to reside in the TBH.
            > >
            > > I will be monitoring the group and reading to get as much knowledge as I
            > > can.
            > >
            > > rick

          • Susan Kegley
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 26, 2013
              Yes, I'm running into the same thing, and having to take at least a
              little brood at the same time. Is it just my queen (who seems to use
              every comb for the brood nest) or is this pretty normal?

              Susan

              On 3/26/13 7:32 AM, Joe Caracausa wrote:

              > In my opinion, the main drawback to TBH is that there is very limited
              > space and you have to rob honey almost twice a month (maybe weekly) to
              > keep the bees from running out of space. I tried building a 'super'
              > that ran full length of the TBH box, but it was also very impractical.
              > I used 'frames' going the long way and there was not a good way to get
              > honey out of them. I used empty frames with a strip of foundation
              > along the top. I am sure there has to be a flexible TBH system that
              > can allow for less intervention during the honey flow, but I have not
              > seen one yet.
              >
              > "A government that controls your mortgage, your student loan, your car
              > loan, your retirement savings, your healthcare, your right to own
              > property and to defend your liberties- with a gun if necessary- is a
              > government that owns your liberty and just rents it back to you for a
              > while at election time."
              > -- John Ransom, columnist
              >

              > Joe Caracausa
              > jcarac@... <mailto:jcarac%40aol.com>

              Susan E. Kegley, Ph.D., Principal and CEO
              Pesticide Research Institute
              1400 Shattuck Ave, #8
              Berkeley, CA 94709

              Phone: (510) 705-1874
              Fax: (510) 705-1683
              E-mail: skegley@...
              Web: http://www.pesticideresearch.com

              PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
              This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law as attorney client and work-product confidential or otherwise confidential communications. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication or other use of a transmission received in error is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, immediately notify us at the above telephone number.

            • Kewisch, Jorg
              Message 6 of 8 , May 11, 2013
                Can you cut a queen excluder to size and use it in a THB, or will the bees cover it with wax?

                Jorg

                E-mail: skegley@...<mailto:skegley%40pesticideresearch.com>
                Web: http://www.pesticideresearch.com

                PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
                This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law as attorney client and work-product confidential or otherwise confidential communications. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication or other use of a transmission received in error is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, immediately notify us at the above telephone number.

              • Keith Benson
                Message 7 of 8 , May 11, 2013
                  As long as you respect bee space this works.

                  Keith

                  Sent from my iPhone