Re: [TopHive] Top bars Utah?

  • Blackhorse
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 16, 2013
      Sir, Why are you even on this list???

      On 3/16/2013 2:34 AM, Blaine Nay wrote:
      > I've been keeping bees since the early '60s. I have 10 Langstroth
      > hives and 3 Top-Bar hives. I can confidently tell you that, from my
      > experience. Lorenzo Langstroth knew what he was doing. Forget about
      > the Top-Bar hive. The Langstroth is far easier to use and the bees
      > seem to do a lot better in them.
      >
      > If you really want to get into Top-Bar beekeeping, I'll sell you mine:
      > Two are $180 each with bees and stands, one is $80 without bees and
      > stand.
      >
      > Photos are at
      > www.three-peaks.net/images/Apiary%20-%20back_sm.jpg
      > and
      > www.three-peaks.net/images/Apiary%20-%20back_sm.jpg
      >
      > I'm very happy with the quality of design and manufacture of my
      > Top-Bar hives -- I just think Langstroth is a much better way to go --
      > especially for someone new to beekeeping. I bought them from
      > http://www.honeybeehabitat.com/BuyTopBarHives/tabid/175/Default.aspx
      >
      > Blaine Nay
      > Cedar City, Utah
      >

      > On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 1:52 AM, <TopHive@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      >> There is 1 message in this issue.
      >>
      >> Topics in this digest:
      >>
      >> 1. Top bars Utah?
      >> From: Amanda Bradshaw
      >>

      >> Message
      >> 1. Top bars Utah?
      >> Posted by: "Amanda Bradshaw" bradshawbella@... bradshawbella
      >> Date: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:03 pm ((PDT))
      >>
      >> I wondered if there are any Top bar beekeepers in Utah County. I am new to all of this and it looks like everyone here does Lang. I would love to have someone local as a mentor that does top bar.
      >> Amanda Bradshaw

      > .

    • Keith Benson
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 16, 2013
        Blaine,

        Why are you on this list? Tbh's are not langs, we know this. I agree that from a particular point of view that langs are superior, but it is short sighted in the extreme to suggest that this is the case in all scenarios.

        I do not think that tbhs are for everyone, but i also do not think that langs are for everyone either. Having both I appreciate the relative strengths and weaknesses of both systems. Perhaps you need to be a little more open to the full range of needs and desires of different beekeepers in different scenarios.

        Keith

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Mar 16, 2013, at 5:34 AM, Blaine Nay <blainenay@...> wrote:

        > I've been keeping bees since the early '60s. I have 10 Langstroth
        > hives and 3 Top-Bar hives. I can confidently tell you that, from my
        > experience. Lorenzo Langstroth knew what he was doing. Forget about
        > the Top-Bar hive. The Langstroth is far easier to use and the bees
        > seem to do a lot better in them.
        >
        > If you really want to get into Top-Bar beekeeping, I'll sell you mine:
        > Two are $180 each with bees and stands, one is $80 without bees and
        > stand.
        >
        > Photos are at
        > www.three-peaks.net/images/Apiary%20-%20back_sm.jpg
        > and
        > www.three-peaks.net/images/Apiary%20-%20back_sm.jpg
        >
        > I'm very happy with the quality of design and manufacture of my
        > Top-Bar hives -- I just think Langstroth is a much better way to go --
        > especially for someone new to beekeeping. I bought them from
        > http://www.honeybeehabitat.com/BuyTopBarHives/tabid/175/Default.aspx
        >
        > Blaine Nay
        > Cedar City, Utah
        >
        > On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 1:52 AM, <TopHive@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > > There is 1 message in this issue.
        > >
        > > Topics in this digest:
        > >
        > > 1. Top bars Utah?
        > > From: Amanda Bradshaw
        > >

        > > Message
        > > 1. Top bars Utah?
        > > Posted by: "Amanda Bradshaw" bradshawbella@... bradshawbella
        > > Date: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:03 pm ((PDT))
        > >
        > > I wondered if there are any Top bar beekeepers in Utah County. I am new to all of this and it looks like everyone here does Lang. I would love to have someone local as a mentor that does top bar.
        > > Amanda Bradshaw

      • PingHansen
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 16, 2013
          Dear Blaine!

          Every type of hive has both advantages AND disadvantages. That includes topbar hives, as well as Langs.

          Langs are very advantageous for large scale beekeeping, while TBH's are an affordable alternative for smaller scale beekeeping, while affording some clear advantages over Langs for those of us who have the time and patience to work with TBH's.

          You will find quite few beekeepers who prefer TBH's over Langs, and who feel that TBH's are better than Langs for the bees. Depending on the conditions, both you and they are right.

          I would appreciate if you in the future would moderate your disdain for TBH's in this forum dedicated to promoting the use of TBH's. Rarely will anything positive arise from that sort of negative criticism.

          Ping, forum moderator

          p.s. don't bother listing the advantages of Langs v/s TBH's. I'm sure most of know them already. Bear in mind that quite a few of us, in spite of those advantages, still have decided to work with TBH's - simply because TBH's offer a different set of advantages

          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Blaine Nay <blainenay@...> wrote:

          > I've been keeping bees since the early '60s. I have 10 Langstroth
          > hives and 3 Top-Bar hives. I can confidently tell you that, from my
          > experience. Lorenzo Langstroth knew what he was doing. Forget about
          > the Top-Bar hive. The Langstroth is far easier to use and the bees
          > seem to do a lot better in them.
          >
          > If you really want to get into Top-Bar beekeeping, I'll sell you mine:
          > Two are $180 each with bees and stands, one is $80 without bees and
          > stand.
          >
          > Photos are at
          > www.three-peaks.net/images/Apiary%20-%20back_sm.jpg
          > and
          > www.three-peaks.net/images/Apiary%20-%20back_sm.jpg
          >
          > I'm very happy with the quality of design and manufacture of my
          > Top-Bar hives -- I just think Langstroth is a much better way to go --
          > especially for someone new to beekeeping. I bought them from
          > http://www.honeybeehabitat.com/BuyTopBarHives/tabid/175/Default.aspx
          >
          > Blaine Nay
          > Cedar City, Utah
          >

          > On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 1:52 AM, <TopHive@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          > > There is 1 message in this issue.
          > >
          > > Topics in this digest:
          > >
          > > 1. Top bars Utah?
          > > From: Amanda Bradshaw
          > >

          > > Message
          > > 1. Top bars Utah?
          > > Posted by: "Amanda Bradshaw" bradshawbella@... bradshawbella
          > > Date: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:03 pm ((PDT))
          > >
          > > I wondered if there are any Top bar beekeepers in Utah County. I am new to all of this and it looks like everyone here does Lang. I would love to have someone local as a mentor that does top bar.
          > > Amanda Bradshaw

        • Amanda Bradshaw
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 17, 2013
            I am not looking for a hive. I am looking for a mentor. Maybe you should
            sell your failed hives on ebay or something. I can see why you don't like
            TBH, I looked at the link where you bought yours. It looks ginormous and
            cumbersome. I want to do TBH because I have children who I want to be
            involved and we are putting in a window to keep watch on them. I want lots
            of comb as well as honey, and I have a shoulder injury that makes Langs less
            desirable. I assure you I have done my homework. I am a novice but I have
            been reading about bees and have been a spectator for a number of years.

            I thank those that live in Utah that are willing to help me out. I will
            contact you shortly to see if I can have a tour of your hive and talk about
            state regulations.

            Amanda

          • Blaine Nay
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 18, 2013
              There is no standard for the dimensions of top-bar hives. The
              dimensions of mine are typical -- about 40" long, 19" wide, and 10"
              high.

              There are some members of the Utah County Beekeepers Association
              (www.utahcountybeekeepers.org) who have top-bar hives. At least one of
              them is likely to be glad to help you. I'd be glad to help, but I'm
              nearly 200 miles away. Good luck.

              Blaine