Tiny but prolific queen

  • mommyhen42
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2012
      I have been going to post this for a while but have been so busy with rescues and family issues, that I really haven't had much chance to get to doing much more than reading emails.

      A couple of months ago I did a hive removal and the hive was very aggressive so I killed the queen to let them make a new one. The new queen seems to be producing very nice bees, (as long as I remember to smoke them first)they can get a bit cantankerous if I forget...

      Anyway, I knew that they had a new queen because there was an abundance of brood, but try as I might I simply couldnt find her.

      Then one time while doing my hive inspections I noticed what I thought was a worker, acting like a queen does when her frame is exposed to light, she was moving very quickly and agitatedly. Anyway I then noticed that her abdomen was longish and pointed, so I watched her for a while and sure enough she laid an egg in the proper place in the cell and I also noticed workers tending her.

      I marked her, and have checked several times trying to find a larger queen in this hive and all I find laying is this tiny queen.

      She is so small that she can crawl right out of a queen clip just like a worker, so a queen excluder would never hold back one such as she.

      I also recently hived a swarm that also had a tiny queen, they stayed for a couple of days and then left, there was a queen excluder on the hive, but since she was so small, like my other queen, it was no deterrent to their absconding.

      Has anyone else noticed tiny queens like this?