Re: [TopHive] New guy here saying hello.

  • Brian_camp836@msn.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2012
      Neil, welcome to the world of bees and beekeeping, come spring you'll be known as a beek. Long-time keepers recommend obtaining bees suited to your locale and being cold- hardy is essential. Italian strains will not thrive, Carnolians are better at cold winters. If you can obtain a swarm they may be from your area. Many keepers have also said vertical hives such as Warre are more successful in winter as the bees have an easier time moving up to winter stores of honey rather than sideways on a KTBH-better in temperate climate.

      On Oct 30, 2012, at 10:06 AM, "neilsuesz" <cannoneer4u@...> wrote:

      > My wife and I have decided to start keeping bees. She was the one that put the bug in my ear ( no pun intended ), but after doing alot of reading I am really excited to start this spring. I have found my source for my bees and have found my local club that I plan to join, but still have not decided which way to go tbh or Warre hive. I can build both myself so construction is not a consideration. I live in southeast Virginia so we go from hot and humid to very cold winters which is a concern for me as well. So any suggestions or input is welcome.
      > Neil Suesz

    • billsf9c
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012
        There was a time when I thought a Horizontal TBH was for me.
        I wanted a small one. Honey was secondary.

        Now I see what is realistic. Ants the size of elephants, and visa-versa, don't function.

        I see Warré's as being smaller, BUT, expandable. HTHB's...?
        Well... I always read, go for the largest of those offered.
        And they are extremely difficult to expand. (It isn't done.)

        That said, I take the Warré and the 30cm/300mm interior
        and go to 12". 8 or 9 TB's/TopBars, is your option.

        Warré's mat not be as sexy... But they use less Sq Ft,
        and can expand.

        BillSF9c

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "neilsuesz" <cannoneer4u@...> wrote:

        > My wife and I have decided to start keeping bees. She was the one that put the bug in my ear ( no pun intended ), but after doing alot of reading I am really excited to start this spring. I have found my source for my bees and have found my local club that I plan to join, but still have not decided which way to go tbh or Warre hive. I can build both myself so construction is not a consideration. I live in southeast Virginia so we go from hot and humid to very cold winters which is a concern for me as well. So any suggestions or input is welcome.
        > Neil Suesz

      • neilsuesz
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2012
          Thanks for the info that is what I was thinking and being modular is a big plus.