Re: [TopHive] How To Begin < (no subject)

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2012
      (no subject)
      Posted by: "Urbis Agricola" urbisagricola@

      >All:A friend of mine and I both have children who are interested in beekeeping. We are interested in doing some sort of sustainable beekeeping, but everyone in our area that we are aware of, does Langstrogh hives. We've been reading about top bar hives, but it sounds like it is a little harder to get into. Do you think it would be wise or foolish to start out with Langstroth hives so that we can learn from local people we know and then once we get ourselves oriented, transition to top bar or Warre hives or something?

      FYI - "(no subject)" is what the latest spam craze uses.

      Many will not open msgs labeled thusly.

      It depends HOW you want to start.
      And what you want to accomplish, via the bees.

      Do you want to make a lot of honey? A lot of wax?
      Do it cheaply? Or mostly, just have bees...?

      You can start with a package, comb that you attach
      to a TB/topbar, or TBs or frames that are already
      occupied. Each has advantages.

      From a learning standpoint,, I thiMk the majority of
      Langers use "treatments," while Warré folks rarely do.

      This can be a crucial area to consider. Many folks
      who treat believe that if you do not, you are inviting
      disease promotion in the area. This trend is reversing,
      albeit very slowly. Chickens underwent the same issue
      a few years back. Routine treatments began to breed
      resistant diseases. It took a law to end this routine.

    • urbisagricola
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 14, 2012
        All:

        Sorry about that. I neglected to put a subject in the subject line and my post may have looked like spam.

        We've looked into different kinds of hives and are interested in the top bar model. That's a given. The problem is--"How to begin"? And maybe I should be more specific about where I am getting hung up.

        I bought a book called "Top Bar Beekeeping" by Crowder and Harrell. Being new to beekeeping, I have a little trouble following it sometimes, but I THINK I understand how to build the hive. As far as getting bees, I have friends/acquatances who raise bees in Langstroth hives who know how to catch swarms (or I guess I could order some bees), so I think I can find bees.

        Where I am stuck is how to get bees to set up in the the hive. Unless I am missing something, I don't see that the author of the book above tells how to do that. And here is where my original question comes in (should I start out with Langstroth hives to get my feet wet) because it just seems hard for someone to write a readable book that can explan what one needs to know. There is an old saying in my family "You learn by seeing and by doing"--a hands on teacher is probably the best way to learn.

        It seems like a shame to go to the expense of buying all the stuff to do Langstroth hiuves if I ultimately want to do top bar. On the other hand, I may be just setting myself up for frustration trying to do this with books.

        Maybe another or slightly different question would be, do you know a place that has good step my step instructions?

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, OOWONBS@... wrote:

        > (no subject)
        > Posted by: "Urbis Agricola" urbisagricola@
        >
        > >All:A friend of mine and I both have children who are interested in beekeeping. We are interested in doing some sort of sustainable beekeeping, but everyone in our area that we are aware of, does Langstrogh hives. We've been reading about top bar hives, but it sounds like it is a little harder to get into. Do you think it would be wise or foolish to start out with Langstroth hives so that we can learn from local people we know and then once we get ourselves oriented, transition to top bar or Warre hives or something?
        >
        > FYI - "(no subject)" is what the latest spam craze uses.
        >
        > Many will not open msgs labeled thusly.
        >
        > It depends HOW you want to start.
        > And what you want to accomplish, via the bees.
        >
        > Do you want to make a lot of honey? A lot of wax?
        > Do it cheaply? Or mostly, just have bees...?
        >
        > You can start with a package, comb that you attach
        > to a TB/topbar, or TBs or frames that are already
        > occupied. Each has advantages.
        >
        > From a learning standpoint,, I thiMk the majority of
        > Langers use "treatments," while Warré folks rarely do.
        >
        > This can be a crucial area to consider. Many folks
        > who treat believe that if you do not, you are inviting
        > disease promotion in the area. This trend is reversing,
        > albeit very slowly. Chickens underwent the same issue
        > a few years back. Routine treatments began to breed
        > resistant diseases. It took a law to end this routine.
        >
        > BillSF9c

      • Joycelyn Kasmir
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 14, 2012
          Start Here:

          http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm

          That guy's site is full of great information.

          --
          Joycelyn Kasmir
          DiamondJFarms.com

          On 10/14/2012 7:28 AM, urbisagricola wrote:
          > All:
          >
          > Sorry about that. I neglected to put a subject in the subject line and my post may have looked like spam.
          >
          > We've looked into different kinds of hives and are interested in the top bar model. That's a given. The problem is--"How to begin"? And maybe I should be more specific about where I am getting hung up.
          >
          > I bought a book called "Top Bar Beekeeping" by Crowder and Harrell. Being new to beekeeping, I have a little trouble following it sometimes, but I THINK I understand how to build the hive. As far as getting bees, I have friends/acquatances who raise bees in Langstroth hives who know how to catch swarms (or I guess I could order some bees), so I think I can find bees.
          >
          > Where I am stuck is how to get bees to set up in the the hive. Unless I am missing something, I don't see that the author of the book above tells how to do that. And here is where my original question comes in (should I start out with Langstroth hives to get my feet wet) because it just seems hard for someone to write a readable book that can explan what one needs to know. There is an old saying in my family "You learn by seeing and by doing"--a hands on teacher is probably the best way to learn.
          >
          > It seems like a shame to go to the expense of buying all the stuff to do Langstroth hiuves if I ultimately want to do top bar. On the other hand, I may be just setting myself up for frustration trying to do this with books.
          >
          > Maybe another or slightly different question would be, do you know a place that has good step my step instructions?

        • Barb Barton
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 15, 2012
            I started with a top bar three years ago. I bought a package and put it in
            a completely comb free hive. They built up the comb and all was well. I
            know have two top bar hives and two Langs. I find the top bars easier to
            work, especially the TB that has an observation window, I don't need to
            open it up if everything looks good from outside. I don't harvest much from
            the TBs, mostly from the Langs.

            As far as treatment, if you follow the organic beekeepers yahoo group, you
            will observe that the trend it toward downsizing bees to their original
            size before commercialization made them bigger. The smaller bees aren't
            affected by varoa and such because their trachea are smaller, and are
            healthier all around. I will be switching over eventually. I do not use
            treatment on any of my hives, and by treatment we mean chemical treatment.
            You can order small bees from Wolf Creek Apiaries. If I knew this ahead of
            time I would have started off with the smaller bees. It is harder to
            downsize once you have an established hive.

            Barb

            --
            *Barb Barton
            (734) 576-8427

            *"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they simply
            determine where you start." Nido Qubein
            <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/annlanders132029.html>
            *
            *

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 15, 2012
              urbisagricola wrote:
              >We've looked into different kinds of hives and are interested in the top bar model. That's a given. The problem is--"How to begin"? And maybe I should be more specific about where I am getting hung up.

              Hey - No offense. We ALL ferget a Subject line or some
              other stuff, now and then. Heck, I repost a whole Digest
              about 1x a year.

              HOW to begin can be a few ways.
              It sorta depends a lot, on how you get the bees...
              As a nuc. as comb with honey & brood, on frames, and
              they make their own queen or you buy one, with this or
              separately... Or as a "Package" of 2, 3, or 4 lbs.

              Rather than regurgitate it all, can you tell us which way you
              thiMk you'll go?

              >...On the other hand, I may be just setting myself up for frustration trying to do this with books.Maybe another or slightly different question would be, do you know a place that has good step my step instructions?

              For cooking or computers or motorcycle maintenance, I always
              suggest at least 2 books. Better if they are from 2 dif publishers
              and authors, as each says things , "IOW., differently. I like one
              to be a thick reference and one to be a primer. By spring
              you can have read 5 books easily, from your library.
              You can just read what you want in each & skim the rest.

              There's a free eBook on the Warré list. If you've forgotten, they are a stacked
              TB/topbar hive. Sorta like a Lang, but usually w/o frames. Easiest to make, save
              for the roof, and there is a simple version of THAT.

              With a HTBH, aka, [usually] a Trapeziodal TBH, (as I suppose
              you intend,) the "How to Install Bees," is largely the same.
              You place in TB's w/comb, or, you pour in the bees, if a
              package. There are details, to each, and options. Example;
              Smoke was the necessary tool. Now, many use a water spritz,
              perhaps with the lightest of syrups, or use nothing. I didn't
              get a smoker. My experience is quite limited, but so far, no
              stings.

              Usual rules: No after shave or cologne. Don't take a drink to
              calm your nerves or have on fresh deodorant. Light colored
              clothing is suggested as animals wanting the brood tend to
              be dark - yet - many wear blue jeans... Don't breath a lot of
              your CO2 on them. That's a hungry animals nose in their
              business. No fast movements. Be still, or move slowly,
              w/o jerks in your motion.

              Will you have a suit? Or, as I, jury rig something?

              I have an idea... But I need to know the width of a Lang
              frame. And maybe the depth... Anyone?