New Member with lots of beetles

  • rrlephoto
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2012
      Folks,

      We have too much shade and mild winters here in Durham, NC. Hence Small Hive Beetles are a real problem. Been working on ways to get rid of them in my langstroth hives, trap bottom boards do kill a lot of them. But my home made TBH has lots of beetles at least until yesterday.

      Here is what I did. Opened the hive form the vacant end one bar at a time. As I found beetles I either smashed them on the bar or knocked them onto the top of the bars. I worked my way through 22 bars and killed 78 beetles. The remaining 2 bars had no beetles. I suspect I missed no more than twenty beetles. Today I open the vacant end of the hive and not a single beetle was seen.

      Later my bees balled up on a giant robber fly and killed it. Robber flies kill a lot of bees here, maybe one an hour or so per robber fly.

      Cheers,
      Randy Emmitt
      Rougemont, NC www.rlephoto.blogspot.com