Top Bar Ants Moths

  • jloren4322
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 26 9:43 AM
      My top bar started late in the season, (end of May) due to Draper's being unable to send. Then the box was shipped when it was 107, it took 7 days instead of 2. The queen was dead and the box was half filled with dead bees . I reordered a queen. My hive got ants, I treated with Tangle Foot. Now I have wax moths and can't find any new brood.

      I live in the SF or Sacramento area and believe getting brood with some nurse bees will strengthen my hive.

      I also think I need to requeen.

      Please advise me. My bee friend thinks I should let them die and start fresh next year, but with the longer summer here, I think there is still a chance to help this hive.

      HELP.

      Jesse
    • elegans@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 26 10:21 AM
        In a message dated 7/26/2012 9:55:13 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        jloren4322@... writes:

        My top bar started late in the season, (end of May) due to Draper's being
        unable to send. Then the box was shipped when it was 107, it took 7 days
        instead of 2. The queen was dead and the box was half filled with dead
        bees . I reordered a queen. My hive got ants, I treated with Tangle Foot.
        Now I have wax moths and can't find any new brood.

        I live in the SF or Sacramento area and believe getting brood with some
        nurse bees will strengthen my hive.

        I also think I need to requeen.

        Please advise me. My bee friend thinks I should let them die and start
        fresh next year, but with the longer summer here, I think there is still a
        chance to help this hive.

        HELP.

        Jesse

        Hey Jesse!

        Take a good look at the condition and it seems you have drawn comb(?) which
        is always a good start. There are STILL swarms showing up. just the other
        day our bee club swarm list posted about one. Unless you are committed to
        packaged queens...... Where do you live? between SF and Sacto.... closer to
        which? There is a bee club in Concord. They have swarm contacts. Seems a
        shame to let it all go. IF you get a swarm inside the bees will take care of
        the moths. PLUS the moths only like the used comb etc, and are eating the
        bits of left over larval castings and stuff. I would definitely do a
        thourough check to see IF there is a queen. When you got her was she marked??? If
        you DO buy queens always mark them. And contrary to the color method for
        dating, I always use white or yellow. makes it easier to find them in a busy
        hive. After my tbh heavily swarmed and virgin queened the colony got very
        small and it has taken most of the summer to get the strength back. Plus
        it;'s been cooler than normal here in Bay Area, at least where I live, so it's
        even slower. The cool and damp and small colony has given me chalk brood
        problems, but the colony is really starting to recover, sometimes patience
        is the best thing. Follow board to the best bars you can determine for
        warmth, and let them recover.

        George

      • CharBee
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 27 10:10 AM
          What a tuff year we've all been experiencing... we've made ant-moats to keep ants out... they can't walk on water but can use the smallest grass blade as a freeway.... look on our Fb page for an idea.

          https://www.facebook.com/groups/beepods/
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 27 10:22 AM
            These are general questions. You might also ask at this
            TB/TopBar list;

            "Help this hive." A hive is a box. You have no queen or brood.
            That's not much of a colony, but critical you are able to act
            IMMEDIATELY. Are you? Can you source a queen w/nurses
            or a small pkg? Mere young brood might work, if a pal has
            a TB's worth to offer. They MUST be very young, under 3 days,
            if I recall. Less, is more!

            I believe freezing comb kills the moths. Do it so you can re warm
            them in time. I'd strip this, putting TBs on a cardboard box frame
            & scorch slightly as if starting over.

            Make the calls for sourcing.
            THEN you'll know which & what, the rush will be.
            It will...depend. The reply will direct direction & timing.
            Will your TB accept cut-down Lang frame, if that's all you can source?

            Dunno how long you've been queenless. Or why. Remember that it
            takes 3weeks for a new queen to lay & have reasonable output.
            And every 6 weeks, your whole hive, essentially, dies.
            If you are far into that, you'll need queen, nurses, & some interim brood.
            Sounds like a package. hard to find, right now. Get on the phone,
            & that other list Even Lang lists, & just don't say you have a TB.
            This NOW, or never (this season.)

            BillSF9c ... not a pro

            > My top bar started late in the season, (end of May) due to Draper's being
            unable to send. Then the box was shipped when it was 107, it took 7 days
            instead of 2. The queen was dead and the box was half filled with dead
            bees . I reordered a queen. My hive got ants, I treated with Tangle Foot.
            Now I have wax moths and can't find any new brood.

            I live in the SF or Sacramento area and believe getting brood with some
            nurse bees will strengthen my hive.

            I also think I need to requeen.

            Please advise me. My bee friend thinks I should let them die and start
            fresh next year, but with the longer summer here, I think there is still a
            chance to help this hive.

            HELP.

            Jesse

          • Tim N Flanagan
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 27 7:04 PM
              If Queen or bees were halfdead, you should always refuse them. Then fill out a Postal form and they have to refund your money!

              >"Help this hive." A hive is a box. You have no queen or brood.
              >That's not much of a colony, but critical you are able to act
              >IMMEDIATELY. Are you? Can you source a queen w/nurses
              >or a small pkg? Mere young brood might work, if a pal has
              >a TB's worth to offer. They MUST be very young, under 3 days,
              >if I recall. Less, is more!
              >
              >I believe freezing comb kills the moths. Do it so you can re warm
              >them in time. I'd strip this, putting TBs on a cardboard box frame
              >& scorch slightly as if starting over.
              >
              >Make the calls for sourcing.
              >THEN you'll know which & what, the rush will be.
              >It will...depend. The reply will direct direction & timing.
              >Will your TB accept cut-down Lang frame, if that's all you can source?
              >
              >Dunno how long you've been queenless. Or why. Remember that it
              >takes 3weeks for a new queen to lay & have reasonable output.
              >And every 6 weeks, your whole hive, essentially, dies.
              >If you are far into that, you'll need queen, nurses, & some interim brood.
              >Sounds like a package. hard to find, right now. Get on the phone,
              >& that other list Even Lang lists, & just don't say you have a TB.
              >This NOW, or never (this season.)
              >
              >BillSF9c ... not a pro
              >
              >> My top bar started late in the season, (end of May) due to Draper's being
              >unable to send. Then the box was shipped when it was 107, it took 7 days
              >instead of 2. The queen was dead and the box was half filled with dead
              >bees . I reordered a queen. My hive got ants, I treated with Tangle Foot.
              >Now I have wax moths and can't find any new brood.
              >
              >I live in the SF or Sacramento area and believe getting brood with some
              >nurse bees will strengthen my hive.
              >
              >I also think I need to requeen.
              >
              >Please advise me. My bee friend thinks I should let them die and start
              >fresh next year, but with the longer summer here, I think there is still a
              >chance to help this hive.
              >
              >HELP.
              >
              >Jesse

            • jloren4322
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 28 2:21 PM
                A lot of great suggestions. Thank you. Today they are pissed off. I moved them night before last because they were too hot where they were. I also requeened, but dropped her in there rather unceremoniously on accident. I reduced their entrance to a small space due to an aggressive hive a half a mile away previously robbing them. I put giant red flags out by the entrance so they wouldn't get lost. At sunset I scooped up and carried a dozen bees individually back to the new spot and put them in. I found a lot of drones. I think they are drones because they are much bigger than the other bees.
                Like I said, newbie here. Some drones were dead this morning.

                Anyway, they have shade, it's only 95 today, there is star-thistle and other flowers all around for them to forage upon. They have a water supply with rocks in it to land on, and I am going to leave them alone. They are either going to get them selves together or they are going to fail.

                My hope is to get some brood, but I want to leave these girls alone for a week. Also, I bought a new, standard 10 frame box with plastic comb and I placed it outside. I am hoping to set it up for next year, or, have it if I need to move them to a new space. I will freeze their comb and deal with their moths if they abscond, but for now I think I have bothered them enough.

                As a first season bee "keeper", I feel discouraged, but I love to watch the bees. I want them to be successful, and I know it would feel great to actually have a successful hive. I am not there yet. For now, I am just a big disaster! Jesse

                I should have refused them to start with. Hind sigh is sure good.

                --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Tim N Flanagan <timnflanagan@...> wrote:

                > If Queen or bees were halfdead, you should always refuse them. Then fill out a Postal form and they have to refund your money!

                > >"Help this hive." A hive is a box. You have no queen or brood.
                > >That's not much of a colony, but critical you are able to act
                > >IMMEDIATELY. Are you? Can you source a queen w/nurses
                > >or a small pkg? Mere young brood might work, if a pal has
                > >a TB's worth to offer. They MUST be very young, under 3 days,
                > >if I recall. Less, is more!
                > >
                > >I believe freezing comb kills the moths. Do it so you can re warm
                > >them in time. I'd strip this, putting TBs on a cardboard box frame
                > >& scorch slightly as if starting over.
                > >
                > >Make the calls for sourcing.
                > >THEN you'll know which & what, the rush will be.
                > >It will...depend. The reply will direct direction & timing.
                > >Will your TB accept cut-down Lang frame, if that's all you can source?
                > >
                > >Dunno how long you've been queenless. Or why. Remember that it
                > >takes 3weeks for a new queen to lay & have reasonable output.
                > >And every 6 weeks, your whole hive, essentially, dies.
                > >If you are far into that, you'll need queen, nurses, & some interim brood.
                > >Sounds like a package. hard to find, right now. Get on the phone,
                > >& that other list Even Lang lists, & just don't say you have a TB.
                > >This NOW, or never (this season.)
                > >
                > >BillSF9c ... not a pro
                > >
                > >> My top bar started late in the season, (end of May) due to Draper's being
                > >unable to send. Then the box was shipped when it was 107, it took 7 days
                > >instead of 2. The queen was dead and the box was half filled with dead
                > >bees . I reordered a queen. My hive got ants, I treated with Tangle Foot.
                > >Now I have wax moths and can't find any new brood.
                > >
                > >I live in the SF or Sacramento area and believe getting brood with some
                > >nurse bees will strengthen my hive.
                > >
                > >I also think I need to requeen.
                > >
                > >Please advise me. My bee friend thinks I should let them die and start
                > >fresh next year, but with the longer summer here, I think there is still a
                > >chance to help this hive.
                > >
                > >HELP.
                > >
                > >Jesse

              • jloren4322
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 28 2:23 PM
                  Thank You George.

                  I requeened. Maybe it was a good idea, maybe bad.