Introduction and Question about Cutout

  • mommyhen42
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2012
      Hello all I am a second year beek but being in Riverside Ca the only club is in Orange county and I just cant get out that way in the evenings due to other obligations. I have unsuccessfully tried to find a mentor near me but no one ever responded to my queries near my area.

      So I am an ole farm gal that jumps in with both feet, and have been doing bee extractions all over the place, and now have some 30 hives.
      I keep a few at my house but most are on a citrus grove in Murrietta.

      I have one removal that I need some suggestions on how to access the bees, they are inside a terracotta pedistal to a bird bath.

      short of using a hammer, does anyone know how I can cut this open to get to the hive? I have a nice tbh waiting for them

      They are nice bees, much unlike one of my hives that used to be nice but have since requeened with the aggressive drones from my area, so now I will have to requeen them with a queen from one of my nice hives out in murrietta sometime next week.
    • P.H. Rankin Hansen
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2012
        Try a "trapout" (google "trapout" and "iddee"). Or you can drive them
        out using different aromatic oils. Oil of bitter Almond or of cloves
        works well - they abscond rather quickly.

        --
        venlig hilsen / best regards

        Peter H. Rankin Hansen
        Stjærvej 15, Storring
        DK-8464 Galten
        Danmark

        (+45) 7586 1688 / (+45) 2211 9611

        Si vis pacem, para bellum - if you want peace, prepare for war.