Re: [TopHive] Introduction

  • Donna Convery
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
      Jorg and group,
      I have a second hive cut out, I just need to make my bars and roof. But I didn't think it was a good idea to do a second one right away, so now I will get back to putting that one together. I have to say thanks to everyone for all the great information.I can't believe how welcoming and helpful everyone is. I am going back over each response and write down the suggestions then get started on them. We have a local beekeeping group, but they are very anti top bar hives. I have my heart set on the TBH, so I haven't been going back. But I think I will now. We have a meeting next Thursday night. Gosh, I sure appreciate all the ideas.
      Donna

      >________________________________

    • Maureen Russell
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
        Hi Donna
        I haven't really posted on this forum but wanted to welcome you because I have felt the same way about attending my local bee group. In fact the Florida beekeepers group didn't even want to respond toe when they heard I had top bar hives. I have inky been beekeeping since October but things are going well. I split my hives earlier in the year fro
        Two to four. It took them awhile to become queen right with the weather but all is well now. They way we box our bees are different but how and what you look for is very much the same. Remember we are beekeepers not box keepers. Welcome to the group. If you need anything just give a shout!

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jul 13, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Donna Convery <dnnconvery@...> wrote:

        > Jorg and group,
        > I have a second hive cut out, I just need to make my bars and roof. But I didn't think it was a good idea to do a second one right away, so now I will get back to putting that one together. I have to say thanks to everyone for all the great information.I can't believe how welcoming and helpful everyone is. I am going back over each response and write down the suggestions then get started on them. We have a local beekeeping group, but they are very anti top bar hives. I have my heart set on the TBH, so I haven't been going back. But I think I will now. We have a meeting next Thursday night. Gosh, I sure appreciate all the ideas.
        > Donna
        >
        > >________________________________

      • P.H. Rankin Hansen
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
          > We have a local beekeeping group, but they are very anti top bar
          hives. I have my heart set on the TBH, so I haven't been going back

          There's usually at least one with an open mind - mayhap even one who's
          been itching to try it him-/herself.

          --
          venlig hilsen / best regards

          Peter H. Rankin Hansen
          Stjærvej 15, Storring
          DK-8464 Galten
          Danmark

          (+45) 7586 1688 / (+45) 2211 9611

          Si vis pacem, para bellum - if you want peace, prepare for war.
        • L. Carlson
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
            My local club is also very langstroth-centric... but i have found a few TBH/Warre curiosity seekers and I just go for the general knoweledge questions ( things that applies to all hives or I can adapt to my Warres)

            there are some things that are universal to all hives weather/feeding/pest control etc.. how you handle may have to be altered a bit but you can get ideas...

            From: P.H. Rankin Hansen <ping@...>
            Subject: Re: [TopHive] Introduction
            To: TopHive@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Friday, July 13, 2012, 2:42 PM

            > We have a local beekeeping group, but they are very anti top bar
            hives. I have my heart set on the TBH, so I haven't been going back

            .

          • Rachel
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
              There are members of my local bee guild that have voiced dismay that a
              first-time beekeeper would have a top bar hive. Luckily we also have a
              strong contingent of top bar and "all - natural" bee keepers. Put us all in
              a room together and it's a more than lively discussion- because at the end
              of the day we're all there for the bees!
              Rachel

            • elegans@aol.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                In a message dated 7/13/2012 12:44:11 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                maureen.schoolcraftrussell@... writes
                :

                "Remember we are beekeepers not box keepers. "

                Nicely put!!!!!!!!