Introduction

  • DonnaC
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
      Thank you for allowing me to join your group, my name is Donna and I live in KY. I have wanted to get involved in beekeeping for a long time but it seemed so complicated. Recently I heard about the top bar beehive and became quite intrigued. So I just finished building one, it is too late in the year to get bees, I have checked all over our area, but next year I hope to get some. I am interested in learning everthing I can about the hive and taking care of bees.
      Thank you again,
      Donna
    • Robbie Mabry
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
        Hi Donna,
        This is a great hobby, but I will warn you that beekeeping is like drugs,
        you can't get enough. I have been keeping bees for about 30 years and
        just built my first TBH this summer. The folks on this site really helped
        take the pressure off me and got me on the right road. Welcome to a great
        hobby.

        Robbie
        Melbourne, Arkansas

        On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 6:25 AM, DonnaC <dnnconvery@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Thank you for allowing me to join your group, my name is Donna and I live
        > in KY. I have wanted to get involved in beekeeping for a long time but it
        > seemed so complicated. Recently I heard about the top bar beehive and
        > became quite intrigued. So I just finished building one, it is too late in
        > the year to get bees, I have checked all over our area, but next year I
        > hope to get some. I am interested in learning everthing I can about the
        > hive and taking care of bees.
        > Thank you again,
        > Donna

      • Donna Convery
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
          Thank you Robbie, I am sure that I am going to have fun, since I love to learn new things. How do you think the TBH compares to the standard beehive?
          Donna

          >________________________________

        • Robbie Mabry
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
            I don't expect to get as much honey, but much more wax. I have found out
            it requires more fussing around, but that's why I keep bees. I would
            advise wearing a bee suit until you get relaxed with them then you will
            know what you can and can't do without protection. I am not to one to talk
            about the TBH as this is my first season with them. I expect some of the
            other folks will be giving you much better advise than I.

            On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 7:25 AM, Donna Convery <dnnconvery@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Thank you Robbie, I am sure that I am going to have fun, since I love to
            > learn new things. How do you think the TBH compares to the standard beehive?
            > Donna
            >
            > >________________________________

          • Rafael Montag
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
              Welcome.

              Raf
              Hyattstown, MD

              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                Donna,

                Welcome to one of the greatest hobbies. I would like to send you back
                into the wood-workshop to build a second hive. It is recommended to
                start with two to four hives. First, because you can compare them in
                their development. Bee colonies are like siblings, they are all
                different in temperament, health and production. One student from my
                beginners class said: If I had started with just the rowdy colony I
                would have quit. But the good colony showed me how things should be.

                Second, a bee keeper sometimes takes from a strong hive to help a weaker
                one overcome a problem. If a queen gets sick and dies the beekeeper can
                give them a bar with eggs from the other hives so that they can make a
                new queen.

                The other thing I suggest is to go to your local bee keepers club
                meeting and offer your help to an experienced beekeeper, so you can get
                comfortable handling the bees with some guidance.

                Jorg
              • P.H. Rankin Hansen
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                  I'll second Jorg's suggestions.

                  Another thing to watch out for, is "beekeeper burnout". _D_o_n_'_t_ get
                  above five hives the first three years.

                  I've seen it far too often. Very often the first year or two is
                  successful and there are only minor problems. This really gives people
                  the beekeeping bug, which leads them to expand the number of hives. What
                  they don't have, is experience, so they cut corners, and when the
                  inevitable problems start showing up, they can be hit very hard, often
                  leading to burnout - in some cases, even severe stress. Very few of
                  those burnouts remain beekeepers after the fifth year. Limiting yourself
                  to five hives, lets you gain experience without overextending.

                  And _do_ get your self a _compatible_ mentor. Having a mentor, can be
                  very rewarding, lead you away from a _lot_ of mistakes, and lead to long
                  lasting friendships. But find someone compatible - many are locked in
                  their mind to doing things one way only, and that usually does not
                  include topbar hives.

                  --
                  venlig hilsen / best regards

                  Peter H. Rankin Hansen
                  Stjærvej 15, Storring
                  DK-8464 Galten
                  Danmark

                  (+45) 7586 1688 / (+45) 2211 9611

                  Si vis pacem, para bellum - if you want peace, prepare for war.

                • elegans@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                    Hey Donna!

                    Everyone has said valuable suggestion. Wouldn't take any away. Would add
                    that you are in for a terrific ride. Try not to use smoke when you go in to
                    inspect. start from the back end, and one frame at a time move forward
                    slowly and deliberately and you will see how tolerant bees can bee.

                    As for stocking with a colony.... There is still a lot of summer left, So I
                    would go ahead with the understanding that they may or may not build up
                    and get a good storage for the winter. You might get only a half build. But
                    there are follower boards you can use to get it cozy for the winter, and
                    entrance reducers and all, and insulation.... but you will get there as
                    needed. PLUS if the hive does fail to make it over the first winter, there will
                    be built out comb for a new colony and they will have a great start to next
                    summer. Join a local bee club if you can, to get camaraderie. Although not
                    many bee club folks are Top bar folks and they look at you as crazy. But
                    they might be able to get you a captured swarm to start with!!!!!!

                    Stay with the group here, there is a whole lot of experience. A good web
                    site that I like is Michael Bush's site _http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm_
                    (http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm) He's got lots of good info. Though
                    primarily a Lang guy, he did build a horizontal Lang which is really a modified
                    Top Bar.

                    Good Luck,

                    George

                  • P.H. Rankin Hansen
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                      And don't let yourself get confused. Whenever there's four beekeepers
                      present, there's usually five opinions about how to do something - and
                      most likely, they'll all work.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                        Jorg and group,
                        I have a second hive cut out, I just need to make my bars and roof. But I didn't think it was a good idea to do a second one right away, so now I will get back to putting that one together. I have to say thanks to everyone for all the great information.I can't believe how welcoming and helpful everyone is. I am going back over each response and write down the suggestions then get started on them. We have a local beekeeping group, but they are very anti top bar hives. I have my heart set on the TBH, so I haven't been going back. But I think I will now. We have a meeting next Thursday night. Gosh, I sure appreciate all the ideas.
                        Donna

                        >________________________________

                      • Maureen Russell
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                          Hi Donna
                          I haven't really posted on this forum but wanted to welcome you because I have felt the same way about attending my local bee group. In fact the Florida beekeepers group didn't even want to respond toe when they heard I had top bar hives. I have inky been beekeeping since October but things are going well. I split my hives earlier in the year fro
                          Two to four. It took them awhile to become queen right with the weather but all is well now. They way we box our bees are different but how and what you look for is very much the same. Remember we are beekeepers not box keepers. Welcome to the group. If you need anything just give a shout!

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On Jul 13, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Donna Convery <dnnconvery@...> wrote:

                          > Jorg and group,
                          > I have a second hive cut out, I just need to make my bars and roof. But I didn't think it was a good idea to do a second one right away, so now I will get back to putting that one together. I have to say thanks to everyone for all the great information.I can't believe how welcoming and helpful everyone is. I am going back over each response and write down the suggestions then get started on them. We have a local beekeeping group, but they are very anti top bar hives. I have my heart set on the TBH, so I haven't been going back. But I think I will now. We have a meeting next Thursday night. Gosh, I sure appreciate all the ideas.
                          > Donna
                          >
                          > >________________________________

                        • P.H. Rankin Hansen
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                            > We have a local beekeeping group, but they are very anti top bar
                            hives. I have my heart set on the TBH, so I haven't been going back

                            There's usually at least one with an open mind - mayhap even one who's
                            been itching to try it him-/herself.

                            --
                            venlig hilsen / best regards

                            Peter H. Rankin Hansen
                            Stjærvej 15, Storring
                            DK-8464 Galten
                            Danmark

                            (+45) 7586 1688 / (+45) 2211 9611

                            Si vis pacem, para bellum - if you want peace, prepare for war.
                          • L. Carlson
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                              My local club is also very langstroth-centric... but i have found a few TBH/Warre curiosity seekers and I just go for the general knoweledge questions ( things that applies to all hives or I can adapt to my Warres)

                              there are some things that are universal to all hives weather/feeding/pest control etc.. how you handle may have to be altered a bit but you can get ideas...

                              From: P.H. Rankin Hansen <ping@...>
                              Subject: Re: [TopHive] Introduction
                              To: TopHive@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Friday, July 13, 2012, 2:42 PM

                              > We have a local beekeeping group, but they are very anti top bar
                              hives. I have my heart set on the TBH, so I haven't been going back

                              .

                            • Rachel
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                                There are members of my local bee guild that have voiced dismay that a
                                first-time beekeeper would have a top bar hive. Luckily we also have a
                                strong contingent of top bar and "all - natural" bee keepers. Put us all in
                                a room together and it's a more than lively discussion- because at the end
                                of the day we're all there for the bees!
                                Rachel

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                                  In a message dated 7/13/2012 12:44:11 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                  maureen.schoolcraftrussell@... writes
                                  :

                                  "Remember we are beekeepers not box keepers. "

                                  Nicely put!!!!!!!!