mice in tbh question

  • sewirie
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 21 12:18 PM
      hello~~

      We have our first hive ever, it's a top bar hive, and it's been about 7 weeks or so since we hived it. the bees are building comb on the bar in the very back and seem happy. the hive has 3 entrance holes and they're all accessible. we've got a follower board in place seperating the 'dead' space from where the bees are for now, and in this space we keep finding mice and their nests . . . which we've been removing but they keep returning . . .should we be concerned by this? as in is it ok for the mice to live there until the whole hive is open to the bees, at which point will the bees take care of the mice on their own? just wondering. there's pictures of the hive on my blog and since then the entrance holes have been unblocked and the 'dead' space is visible to the left in one of the whole hive pictures in the slideshow:

      http://dreamsonghomestead.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/beesdeux/

      any advice would be most appreciated. thanks

      ~~mariam
    • roger g
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 22 4:08 AM
        i'VE HAD MICE IN MY TOPS TOO. many times when i take top off they're on top of bars. I just flat hand pop the nest if there is one or mice and crush them. if i have gloves on i grab and crush them.
        I winter i put a screen cage on landing board to keep them out of hive. In warm weather the bees usually protect the hive inside.roger NJ

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 22 4:23 AM
          I would not have mice near MY food.
          Not wild ones... with a potential for disease.

          BillSF9c

          > we've got a follower board in place seperating the 'dead' space from where the bees are for now, and in this space we keep finding mice and their nests . . . which we've been removing but they keep returning . . .should we be concerned by this? as in is it ok for the mice to live there until the whole hive is open to the bees, at which point will the bees take care of the mice on their own? http://dreamsonghomestead.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/beesdeux/any advice would be most appreciated. thanks~~mariam

        • Robert Robbins
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 22 7:54 AM
            I've had mice overwinter in my TBHs and just this spring had a family of mice move into one of my strong hives. I went to check on the hives a few days ago and found four adult mice dead that appeared to be stung by the bees, three adult mice still alive, a nest of live baby mice toward the back of the hive, comb all chewed up and scattered all over, dead bees everywhere, all live bees gone, and a big mess to clean up. This hive had a bottom entrance. I have several hives with top entrances and haven't had a problem with mice yet. I've cut up a plastic queen excluder/includer and stapled it across the entrance and so far this seems to keep the mice out. I was surprised at how small of an opening mice can squeeze into. I also have the top bars the length of the hive so the mice can't climb up and get into other parts of the hive. I've never used follower boards and just let the bees build on their own. Thats how I've been dealing with mice. I'm looking forward to other ideas.
          • sew*irie
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 22 9:58 AM
              hmmmm, sounds like the mice can actually cause damage to the bees and comb, and aren't just tidy little neighbours so to speak. . .. which means we need to monitor them/remove them and not rely on the bees to clean them out of their home . . ..
              maybe we'll set up a bunch of mouse traps around the base, as they seem to get in from the space under the 'roof' just as easily as from in the entrance holes.
              ever have problems with spiders eating up the bees?  we found spiders in there too, though no dead bees, but wondering.
              thanks for the info. everyone :)

              Mariam

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 24 11:53 AM
                I've had spiders in some hives but they don't seem to be a problem. Usually when I open the hive the spiders will run away. I did have a big web in one hive that was at the end of the hive the bees weren't using yet. I just took it out and haven't seen it since. I have some bushes with a lot of spiders near some hives and have noticed one or two bees in the webs. The spiders don't seem to be that big of a problem though. Good luck with the mice.