Top Bar "The Right Bee"

  • mo
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2005
      I have a problem here in the East that the flows are
      Quick and strong. I want to start a bunch, 5-10 TB Hives
      but I am worried about swarming and bees not building
      comb quick enough to provide space for the Queen. What
      types of bees are recommended for TB hives?
    • Scot Mc Pherson
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2005
        As far as choosing the right be for your TBH, the answer really is "it
        doesn't matter."

        Choice of bee should be based more on your region. There are several
        bred lines of bees of all species and subspecies available. I however
        recommend you get local bees, bees that have become feral if possible
        and can be gotten by swarm or a known beekeeper whom has kept wild mated
        bees for a long time.

        Failing that, if you live in the north, select dark bees and if you live
        in the deep south (I mean like south florida), then I would select
        yellow bees like italians. Though, even if you by bright yellow italians
        and let them open mate in south florida for a few generations, they'll
        still darken up a bit.

        Caucasian bees are my recommendation for the north, and italians for the
        south.

        --
        Scot Mc Pherson
        The Mc Pherson Family Honey Farms

        . ` , ` '
        .,';`,. ``. '.
        _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
        /_____\ .:.,"'`
        /\_____/\ .,:`'"
        \###/.,';`

        I have a problem here in the East that the flows are
        Quick and strong. I want to start a bunch, 5-10 TB Hives
        but I am worried about swarming and bees not building
        comb quick enough to provide space for the Queen. What
        types of bees are recommended for TB hives?

        The group archive and other pages can be accessed at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

        roup archive and other pages can be accessed at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Barry Lay
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2005
          For the very best written info on manging Top Bar Hives I suggest reading everything at this site: http://www3.telus.net/conrad/toc.htm

          This is a Peace Corps document that has clarified everything for me. I made every possible mistake this, my first year of beekeeping. Mr. Gentry's simple "How to" for everything regarding Top Bar Hives, Bees, Management, etc. shows me that it can be done.

          I think it will help you to deal with the quick and strong flows also.

          Thanks

          Barry Lay

          mo <mo_ontheroad@...> wrote:
          I have a problem here in the East that the flows are
          Quick and strong. I want to start a bunch, 5-10 TB Hives
          but I am worried about swarming and bees not building
          comb quick enough to provide space for the Queen. What
          types of bees are recommended for TB hives?

          Beekeeping Tbh Beekeeping supplies Beekeeping equipment