Re: [TopHive] so, how did you get started in top bar beekeeping?

  • Paul Rowland
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 15, 2005
      P.H. John who? Does he have a website?

      On 11/13/05, P.H. Rankin Hansen <ping@...> wrote:

      > Well, for starters, most mating nucs here in Northern Europe are actually
      > small TBH's. I was fascinated by the way the bees draw out the combs.
      >
      > Then I came across a site with TBH's (John's I think), and was hooked on
      > the
      > subject.
      >
      > I like the simplicity and that I don't have to lift heavy boxes to get to
      > the
      > brood nest. It also does not hurt that making the equipment is next to
      > free.
      > What I don't like about TBH's, is that it is somewhat less easy to
      > practice
      > drone brood removal, but I have just now gotten some ideas on how to
      > control
      > this.
      >
      > I do love to experiment and try out new ideas.
      >
      > Ping.
      >
      > venlig hilsen / best regards
      >
      > P.H. Rankin Hansen
      > Grædstrupvej 53, Grædstrup
      > DK-8740 Brædstrup
      > (+45) 7586 1688 / (+45) 2211 9611
      >
      > --
      >
      > Ping.
      >
      > P.H. Rankin Hansen
      > Grædstrupvej 53, Grædstrup
      > DK-8740 Brædstrup
      > Tlf: 2211 9611

      > roup archive and other pages can be accessed at

    • mo
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 20, 2006
        Hi Scot
        Do you have any thoughs after this year of with all your TBh's?

        I know when I get a 3 lb package mid April here in New England and
        install with just foundation and have to feed it hard, I rarely get a
        decent crop but do the next year. If I install same on 3-5 of drawn
        comb I get a super or so. If on 20 drawn Langstroths get a decent
        crop. In every case I have to feed but less as I go.

        So, I guess my Question is there a economic starting point as far as
        success or a minimium point or combination with a new package say like
        a 3lb package with the ultimate goal of filling a Standard 48" KTBH
        like yours? Or do you think a smaller or larger package would be
        needed? Any drawn comb added?

        I know with my bees they have a hard time keeping up with some
        of the intense flows and ultimately swarm as they can't draw a super
        fast enough.

        Cheers
        mo

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "scot.mcpherson" <scot.mcpherson@...>
        wrote:

        > </blurb>I know some members are a bit tweaked that a send tbhers to
        other lists, but quite frankly mark has just demonstrated why I do so.
        Having said this I would like to see some discussion here and wonder
        why if people want discussion that the membership here does just go
        ahead and chat. </end blurb>

        > I have been keeping bees for over 20 years now. My operation is
        completely organic in practices. I practice zero tolerance for
        treatments whether organic certified or otherwise. The only feeding
        the bees get are new installations only until they can fend for
        themselves, and that's usually only 1 or 2 lbs of sugar per hive.

        > I got started with topbarhives after returning from military
        service, getting married and being broke wanting to return to bees. I
        really couldn't afford to by standard equipment and found tbhs. It
        took an extra year to get started and so could do some research and
        development for a whole year to come up with a perfect design. I
        bought bees from ken at buckeye bee, and had 4 new hives going that
        spring. Now I have been keeping bees in tbhs for 4 years, and am
        building 500 new hives and bought 500 packages for this spring.

        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

        > >roup archive and other pages can be accessed at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Scot Mc Pherson
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 20, 2006
          Yes I have some thoughts.

          That's a lot of freaking beehives, no matter what style. I had a
          hardship during my installation season. When I went an picked up my bees
          (a literal van full) it was nice and warm. Cool, but warm enough. It
          took me 3 days to install all the bees working from morning until late
          night. On the 3rd day, the weather took a turn for the colder, and some
          of the clusters in their packages were too chilled to install, but I had
          no choice and installed them. I lost a lot of packages between
          installation and when the weather warmed up enough for them to break
          cluster. At the end of the installation, I was down to 380 living
          colonies (some good others weak), and going into winter I am down to 320
          colonies and think I will come out of winter with about half of that if
          I am lucky, and I will feel very lucky indeed for having those, because
          a mature colony coming out of winter builds up fast. The weak colonies
          coming out of winter I will combine all but 1 comb into the strong to
          aid in buildup, then split them back out to the weak again for building
          up and requeening. Then I will split them back out to the original 500.

          If I can genuinely manage that, then I believe my first year to be a
          complete success. 1st year of operation is not about generating a
          profit, but just getting the colonies to mature through a winter. After
          than, its much much easier. Having done this on a large scale, I would
          recommend to new aspiring commercial beekeeprs to start smaller, and
          just get some hives through winter. Once you have that, its easier to
          buildup than it is to start with so many at once. Especially since I
          have a full time job also to pay the bills while cash flow develops.

          I bought 3lb packages, but delievered they really averaged 5 lbs I
          think. 2lbs is really a good minimum, 3 lbs is better, but more than 3
          lbs is a waste really. Most of the bees are going to die very soon
          anyway, and they won't buildup any faster than a 3lb package really. In
          reality, with the 320 hives that actually made it to winter, only a few
          filled the hive with honey, and I left it on. In fact I combined some of
          the 60 that didn't make the cut into into the stronger because I knew
          the stronger would use it where the weaker would just waste it or let it
          rot when they died.

          Drawn comb always helps the queen lay more eggs faster, but its only a
          few days worth of lead time unless you have a lot of drawn comb and they
          can use it for honey storage also without having to burn honey to make
          comb. Once the hive is established, many of us who have done both hive
          type agree that the bees will produce as much honey in a tbh "on
          average" if managed properly. That's not to say that the record breaking
          tbh will attain the same as a record breaking lang. I think the lang
          will break more records in honey production.

          If the bees are given room ahead of time, they can keep up. It's the
          beekeeper who throws on the emergency super who has caused his/her bees
          to fall behind. Whether in a tbh or in a lang, I recommend
          foundationless systems. It aids in many things including pest control.

          Most important is to develop the brood nest. You can't just let them
          build a 5 comb brood nest and expect them to do well, you need to
          develop the nest by adding empty bars when its appropriate. Feed the
          bars between the current two best combs at first until the brood nest
          gets to be a decent size, then you start feeding empty bars into the
          center of the brood nest, while culling combs from the outside of the
          brood nest to maintain the size brood nest you want to manage. You don't
          have to have a 20 frame brood nest if you don't want to, but if you can
          get the bees to keep 20 frame filled with brood your hives will
          outproduce any other hives. However in reality, the bees will choke
          those down to a nest size they can manage, but you can keep developing
          the nest until you and the bees are happy. Then when you introduce an
          empty comb to enhance uniformity and such into the brood nest core, you
          can let the brood emerge from the edge combs and cull it before they
          fill it with honey and pollen. Or alternatively there is some advantage
          to leaving some brood comb in the back of the brood nest that the bees
          fill exclusively with honey, because if the bees all of a sudden get an
          urge to raise more bees, you don't want them using honey comb to raise
          combs of drone. Plus you can ensure that any honey they have gathered
          and put into brood nest edge combs they get to keep as well as what ever
          else you deem necessary to overwinter successfully.

          Be well,

          --
          Scot McPherson
          The McPherson Family Honey Farms

          . ` , ` '
          .,';`,. ``. '.
          _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
          /_____\ .:.,"'`
          /\_____/\ .,:`'"
          \###/.,';`

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 21, 2006
            Wow!

            I'll bet you were busy! shifting all the bars about and
            checking on them regularly. I thought TBH's were easier to
            manage, but I guess like any hive, weather and other factors
            make it important to still check them regularly.

            I can see how tropical areas are ideal for TBH beekeepers, where
            you have a constant flow and they are always looking to expand.
            Having bad weather or a early bad dearth, I guess could really slow
            down things. Do you think a colony could could fill a TBH in a year
            with no assistance?

            I am going to try a few next year and will try your model!