Re: [TopHive] Brood in every comb and the hive is filling up!

  • Rafael Montag
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 15 11:23 AM
      An interesting point, though only Kent can say whether or not he'd be interested in another hive.  Personally (and from past experience), I can't see that anyone would not want to have two hives at a bare minimum.  I was told this when I first entertained the notion of becoming a beekeeper by some very experienced beekeepers.  The reason was stated earlier - to have a basis for comparing the progress of the hives, and enable removal of brood comb from a strong hive to help a weak one.

      Raf, Hyattstown, MD

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 15 12:38 PM
        In a message dated 6/15/2012 11:23:09 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        rmontag48@... writes:

        An interesting point, though only Kent can say whether or not he'd be
        interested in another hive. Personally (and from past experience), I can't see
        that anyone would not want to have two hives at a bare minimum. I was
        told this when I first entertained the notion of becoming a beekeeper by some
        very experienced beekeepers. The reason was stated earlier - to have a
        basis for comparing the progress of the hives, and enable removal of brood
        comb from a strong hive to help a weak one.

        Raf, Hyattstown, MD

        Your point about two hives is very important. It may be an ability to
        manage two hives time wise or something. I have two hives and knowing there is
        back up is very reassuring. Things can and do go wromng with a hive
        sometimes gradually or sometimes all at once. Knowing you have options is something
        I came to understand. But in my first year I took small steps to aclimate
        into the bee suit as it were and stayed with the one hive till I had a
        couple of years under my belt.

        George

      • Kent Brewster
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 16 9:45 PM
          I've been very careful not to take any bees at all when removing bars, thanks. While a split is tempting--so far I've seen nothing resembling a queen cell-we simply don't have room for another hive. We have dogs and chickens and all sorts of raised beds here and there. Thanks for the reminder about the chickens and brood comb; I'm sure they'll love it.

          --Kent

        • elegans@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 16 11:40 PM
            In a message dated 6/16/2012 9:45:17 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
            kent_brewster@... writes:

            I've been very careful not to take any bees at all when removing bars,
            thanks. While a split is tempting--so far I've seen nothing resembling a queen
            cell-we simply don't have room for another hive. We have dogs and chickens
            and all sorts of raised beds here and there. Thanks for the reminder about
            the chickens and brood comb; I'm sure they'll love it.

            --Kent

            Kent-

            I made reuse of an old salad spinner with the comb from my top bar hive. I
            mash it into a strainer for the most part then spin it for the remainder.
            I'm with you on splits: a hive begats then begats again....
            where did you get your hive? Mine is also a 36 incher from Backyard hive in
            Colorado. A beautiful piece of work plus the bars are one-piece and
            perfect for the girls. My only objection is that it really should be 4 feet. But
            it's a great hive.

            George