Re: [TopHive] winter feeding

  • Paul Rowland
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 15, 2005
      If they need it of course. Check on a day when the temp(or if you're already
      sure go-ahead), is at least in the 50's, but you would want the sealed
      honey/syrup right next to the cluster, the colder the temp the less they
      move. If you have to use syrup mix a heavy 2:1, about 4-5 pounds of sugar to
      one gallon of water, I usually put about a quart of very hot water in, pour
      the sugar in, shake, add the rest in cool water, I also toss in about 4
      tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, this helps to keep bacterial growth
      down, and adds trace minerals to the syrup. Dr. Wyatt Mangum is a great
      source of info, he's done TBH for years. You can read his articles in the
      American Bee Journal, email is:
      wmangum@...
      I'm hoping to catch up with him, I'd like the voice of experience when I
      delve into the TBH world. Let me know how it goes, email me some pictures or
      drawings of the TBH, I don't have much to go by.
      Good luck!