Re: [TopHive] Bees in cluster

  • elegans@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
      In a message dated 6/14/2012 8:49:23 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      robbie46@... writes:

      I live in the Arkansas Ozarks and our flow is about over. I am feeding
      and
      will continue for as long as needed.

      So much about beekeeping is adjusting to fit your location and regional
      climate. some great nectar sources and pollen sources like golden rod and
      asters bloom later in summer in other parts of the US which provide a late
      summer flow. You could help them by planting for them too. sunflowers and the
      asters of all sorts are great for them. Mustards too. Besides the nectar,
      good pollen sources are required. Don't even think about honey harvest this
      year. Unless your bees really get it on and build out. But even then think
      in terms of only a frame or two. They'll need to get good honey stores for
      winter. Which Top Bar hives are really good at. THe internal archetecture
      of a TBH really is superior to a lang in terms of good wintering. At least
      in my experience. ALSO there is huge variability in bee behavior because of
      their pedigree and genetics. If your bees were from local feral stock they
      will have adapted to your local conditions better and will have a better
      chance of making it. Anything can go wrong though, but don't be hard on
      yourself if it does. I believe the bees keep us not the other way around. We
      think they are domesticated or domesticatable like a cow or hen, but they are
      wild in nature. A good thing to remember and respect!

      Best,

      George Mcrae

    • Robbie Mabry
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
        I've had bees for about 30 years but always in langs. I still have langs
        but have always wanted to try the tbh. The bees I'm using are a late swarm
        from one of my langs.

      • elegans@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
          In a message dated 6/14/2012 9:17:54 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
          robbie46@... writes:

          I've had bees for about 30 years but always in langs. I still have langs
          but have always wanted to try the tbh. The bees I'm using are a late
          swarm
          from one of my langs.

          sheesh! There I was preaching to the Choir!! You have it under control.
          What i also love about TBH's is the window. Getting to watch them is a treat.
          The first time you see the cluster "part" and see the flash of white comb
          is a goosbump raising moment. Have fun!

          George

        • charles *****
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
            did you ck. to see if the queen was released? charlie
            later charlie

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
              Now that I'm retiring this looks like a great way to continue with bees
              without the big fuss & equipment of langs. I don't really need the
              honey--just love bees.
              Robbie

            • elegans@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
                In a message dated 6/14/2012 5:32:58 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                robbie46@... writes:

                Now that I'm retiring this looks like a great way to continue with bees
                without the big fuss & equipment of langs. I don't really need the
                honey--just love bees.
                Robbie

                Top bar beekeepinng puts back the love in ito it. I just sit with them some
                days. Sit and watch them.

                George

              • roger g
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                  I have several topbar hive and langs. best way i've found to feed topbars is a quart chick waterer. you can fill and set a right in hive under blank bars in rear of hive. if they really get to consuming a lot you can put 2 in. Be sure to use some coarse sand paper to scratch the base up good so bees can climb out easier. You can find them in most farm stores.
                  I dropped a swarm in an empty hive for my grandson couple weeks ago and in 2 weeks they have 9 bars built out. roger NJ

                  --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, elegans@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 6/14/2012 5:54:37 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                  > robbie46@... writes:
                  >
                  > Good Morning,
                  > I installed bees into my new TBH over a week ago. All the brood bars have
                  > foundation strips attached, but the bees still remain in a cluster in one
                  > corner of the hive. Any suggestions?
                  >
                  > Thanks, Robbie
                  >

                  > They take time Robbie. Be patient. A week is no time at all for a new
                  > colony. They have to build comb completely with out the foundation commonly
                  > used in Langs. Let them be. Plus the foragers need to orient themselves. One
                  > thing you can do is put an entrance feeder in with sugar water. The nectar
                  > feeds the young bees who produce the wax flakes. And depending on where you
                  > live the regular nectar flow may not be sufficient to feed a new colony.
                  > Patience and supplimental feeding. DO NOT OPEN THE HIVE. The stress at this
                  > point can be very damaging to the new hive!!!!!!
                  >
                  > George McRae

                • Rafael Montag
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                    Don't be misled by the apparent simplicity of TBH beekeeping.  Though you don't have to deal with supers and such as well as frames in a Lang hive, there is still a substantial amount of work to be done in preparing a TBH for use, namely hive construction and bar preparation.  Bars can be as simple as a 1 3/8 wide piece of wood, but to ensure that the ladies do what they're supposed to do (that is to your liking), you should melt a wax guide to the underside of each bar so that the combs they build are parallel to each other.  I failed to do this with my last captured swarm (about a month ago) and learned the hard way that left to their own devices they'll construct their combs any which way that works for them and in this case it was at an orientation that was diagonal to the orientation of the bars, such that every comb was attached to two to three bars - not very efficient for hive management.  To fix that I had to construct bars that to a
                    greater or lesser extent looked somewhat like Lang frames, gingerly cut each comb and intall it in this type of bar, supported by rubber bands on the sides, the theory being that once the combs are so oriented the bees will build on them and eventually attach them to the bars.  Maybe they'll get the idea, maybe not - time will tell.  There are several variations on this theme, but I like mine because this type of TBH "frame" also works for cut-outs (a whole 'nother ball game once you get into beekeeping - I guess I'm a real nut case in this regard).  In building bars I've tried the triangular bottom-type and the one with a kerf in the middle and running its length.  With the triangular bottom, the bottom 1/8" to 1/4" needs to be dipped in hot wax for a guide.  For the kerf-type, a wax bead needs to be melted into the kerf for its length.  The latter is definitely more time-consuming than the former, but for me, the jury is still out as to which
                    is the better method.  My TBHs are 46.5" long on the inside.  That means that for each hive I have to construct a shit-load (that's a technical term in beekeeping circles) of bars - a very time time-consuming operation.  If you don't believe it, just ask my wife who on more than one occasion has asked me to choose with "either the bees go or I go".  I still can't quite make up my mind.  She is, after all, only one lady.  They are in the 100s of thousands.  Decisions, decisions...

                    Raf

                    Now that I'm retiring this looks like a great way to continue with bees
                    without the big fuss & equipment of langs.  I don't really need the
                    honey--just love bees.
                    Robbie
                    On Jun 14, 2012 1:38 PM, <elegans@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > In a message dated 6/14/2012 9:17:54 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                    > robbie46@... writes:
                    >
                    > I've had bees for about 30 years but always in langs. I still have langs
                    > but have always wanted to try the tbh. The bees I'm using are a late
                    > swarm
                    > from one of my langs.
                    >
                    > sheesh! There I was preaching to the Choir!! You have it under control.
                    > What i also love about TBH's is the window. Getting to watch them is a
                    > treat.
                    > The first time you see the cluster "part" and see the flash of white comb
                    > is a goosbump raising moment. Have fun!
                    >
                    > George

                  • MICHAEL BOOTH
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                      On the bars I glue dowl rods for a guide and coat them with wax.  On some I cut a slot/.kerf
                      one blade width and with others, depending on how the machine is set up, I will use a dado blade two blade widths and set the rod inside the slot.  The slot is around 1/8 deep and the diameter of the dowls vary with what is at hand.  If you have a dado set up you can cut a T out of ripped lumbar.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
                        >If you
                        don't believe it, just ask my wife who on more than one occasion has asked me to
                        choose with "either the bees go or I go". I still can't quite make up my mind.
                        She is, after all, only one lady. They are in the 100s of thousands.
                        Decisions, decisions...

                        Raf

                        We all get a lil sentimental, Raf, but you know the drill...
                        Evaluate fairly, objectively, and decide.
                        Which is more work.
                        Which can sting, worse.
                        Which brings in more honey.
                        Is it time, to artificially supercede.
                        Propolis is good for prostate, Say, it saves buying it.