Bees in cluster

  • Robbie
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
      Good Morning,
      I installed bees into my new TBH over a week ago. All the brood bars have foundation strips attached, but the bees still remain in a cluster in one corner of the hive. Any suggestions?

      Thanks, Robbie
    • elegans@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
        In a message dated 6/14/2012 5:54:37 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        robbie46@... writes:

        Good Morning,
        I installed bees into my new TBH over a week ago. All the brood bars have
        foundation strips attached, but the bees still remain in a cluster in one
        corner of the hive. Any suggestions?

        Thanks, Robbie

        They take time Robbie. Be patient. A week is no time at all for a new
        colony. They have to build comb completely with out the foundation commonly
        used in Langs. Let them be. Plus the foragers need to orient themselves. One
        thing you can do is put an entrance feeder in with sugar water. The nectar
        feeds the young bees who produce the wax flakes. And depending on where you
        live the regular nectar flow may not be sufficient to feed a new colony.
        Patience and supplimental feeding. DO NOT OPEN THE HIVE. The stress at this
        point can be very damaging to the new hive!!!!!!

        George McRae

      • JorgKewisch
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
          Do You feed them? They need 10 pounds of sugar (in 20 pounds of water)
          to get started. Then give them some time and don't disturb them to much.

          You are a bit late in the year with installing bees. I live on Long
          Island and we install in early April. Our honey flow is over by
          Independence Day. You may have to feed in fall so that they have 60
          pounds of honey for the winter.

          Jorg

          On 06/14/2012 08:54 AM, Robbie wrote:
          > Good Morning,
          > I installed bees into my new TBH over a week ago. All the brood bars
          > have foundation strips attached, but the bees still remain in a cluster
          > in one corner of the hive. Any suggestions?
          >
          > Thanks, Robbie
        • Robbie Mabry
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
            Thanks, That is just what I needed to hear!

          • elegans@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
              In a message dated 6/14/2012 8:40:46 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
              jorg@... writes:

              Do You feed them? They need 10 pounds of sugar (in 20 pounds of water)
              to get started. Then give them some time and don't disturb them to much.

              You are a bit late in the year with installing bees. I live on Long
              Island and we install in early April. Our honey flow is over by
              Independence Day. You may have to feed in fall so that they have 60
              pounds of honey for the winter.

              Jorg

              Agreed! see my posting and let me know if it matches your experience too! I
              recommended the same. Plus miles of patience!! Depending on where this
              Beek lives it will be an all summer affair just to prep for winter. I'm
              fortunate to live on the California coast where the flow is almost all year.
              Still, my TBH took all summer and fall just to build half of the internal comb.
              When the flow started the first spring in mid January, they went on
              building rampage and by March 1st, it was built out and they swarmed. Such is our
              good fortune in not fighting contenental winters.

              George

            • elegans@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
                In a message dated 6/14/2012 8:43:55 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                robbie46@... writes:

                Thanks, That is just what I needed to hear!

                My pleasure! Jorg on Long Island said essentially the same thing. so you
                have corroborating info! Good luck!
                Top bar beekeeping is the best.

                George

              • Robbie Mabry
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
                  I live in the Arkansas Ozarks and our flow is about over. I am feeding and
                  will continue for as long as needed.

                • elegans@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
                    In a message dated 6/14/2012 8:49:23 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                    robbie46@... writes:

                    I live in the Arkansas Ozarks and our flow is about over. I am feeding
                    and
                    will continue for as long as needed.

                    So much about beekeeping is adjusting to fit your location and regional
                    climate. some great nectar sources and pollen sources like golden rod and
                    asters bloom later in summer in other parts of the US which provide a late
                    summer flow. You could help them by planting for them too. sunflowers and the
                    asters of all sorts are great for them. Mustards too. Besides the nectar,
                    good pollen sources are required. Don't even think about honey harvest this
                    year. Unless your bees really get it on and build out. But even then think
                    in terms of only a frame or two. They'll need to get good honey stores for
                    winter. Which Top Bar hives are really good at. THe internal archetecture
                    of a TBH really is superior to a lang in terms of good wintering. At least
                    in my experience. ALSO there is huge variability in bee behavior because of
                    their pedigree and genetics. If your bees were from local feral stock they
                    will have adapted to your local conditions better and will have a better
                    chance of making it. Anything can go wrong though, but don't be hard on
                    yourself if it does. I believe the bees keep us not the other way around. We
                    think they are domesticated or domesticatable like a cow or hen, but they are
                    wild in nature. A good thing to remember and respect!

                    Best,

                    George Mcrae

                  • Robbie Mabry
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
                      I've had bees for about 30 years but always in langs. I still have langs
                      but have always wanted to try the tbh. The bees I'm using are a late swarm
                      from one of my langs.

                    • elegans@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
                        In a message dated 6/14/2012 9:17:54 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                        robbie46@... writes:

                        I've had bees for about 30 years but always in langs. I still have langs
                        but have always wanted to try the tbh. The bees I'm using are a late
                        swarm
                        from one of my langs.

                        sheesh! There I was preaching to the Choir!! You have it under control.
                        What i also love about TBH's is the window. Getting to watch them is a treat.
                        The first time you see the cluster "part" and see the flash of white comb
                        is a goosbump raising moment. Have fun!

                        George

                      • charles *****
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
                          did you ck. to see if the queen was released? charlie
                          later charlie

                          ________________________________
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
                            Now that I'm retiring this looks like a great way to continue with bees
                            without the big fuss & equipment of langs. I don't really need the
                            honey--just love bees.
                            Robbie

                          • elegans@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
                              In a message dated 6/14/2012 5:32:58 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                              robbie46@... writes:

                              Now that I'm retiring this looks like a great way to continue with bees
                              without the big fuss & equipment of langs. I don't really need the
                              honey--just love bees.
                              Robbie

                              Top bar beekeepinng puts back the love in ito it. I just sit with them some
                              days. Sit and watch them.

                              George

                            • roger g
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                                I have several topbar hive and langs. best way i've found to feed topbars is a quart chick waterer. you can fill and set a right in hive under blank bars in rear of hive. if they really get to consuming a lot you can put 2 in. Be sure to use some coarse sand paper to scratch the base up good so bees can climb out easier. You can find them in most farm stores.
                                I dropped a swarm in an empty hive for my grandson couple weeks ago and in 2 weeks they have 9 bars built out. roger NJ

                                --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, elegans@... wrote:

                                > In a message dated 6/14/2012 5:54:37 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                > robbie46@... writes:
                                >
                                > Good Morning,
                                > I installed bees into my new TBH over a week ago. All the brood bars have
                                > foundation strips attached, but the bees still remain in a cluster in one
                                > corner of the hive. Any suggestions?
                                >
                                > Thanks, Robbie
                                >

                                > They take time Robbie. Be patient. A week is no time at all for a new
                                > colony. They have to build comb completely with out the foundation commonly
                                > used in Langs. Let them be. Plus the foragers need to orient themselves. One
                                > thing you can do is put an entrance feeder in with sugar water. The nectar
                                > feeds the young bees who produce the wax flakes. And depending on where you
                                > live the regular nectar flow may not be sufficient to feed a new colony.
                                > Patience and supplimental feeding. DO NOT OPEN THE HIVE. The stress at this
                                > point can be very damaging to the new hive!!!!!!
                                >
                                > George McRae

                              • Rafael Montag
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                                  Don't be misled by the apparent simplicity of TBH beekeeping.  Though you don't have to deal with supers and such as well as frames in a Lang hive, there is still a substantial amount of work to be done in preparing a TBH for use, namely hive construction and bar preparation.  Bars can be as simple as a 1 3/8 wide piece of wood, but to ensure that the ladies do what they're supposed to do (that is to your liking), you should melt a wax guide to the underside of each bar so that the combs they build are parallel to each other.  I failed to do this with my last captured swarm (about a month ago) and learned the hard way that left to their own devices they'll construct their combs any which way that works for them and in this case it was at an orientation that was diagonal to the orientation of the bars, such that every comb was attached to two to three bars - not very efficient for hive management.  To fix that I had to construct bars that to a
                                  greater or lesser extent looked somewhat like Lang frames, gingerly cut each comb and intall it in this type of bar, supported by rubber bands on the sides, the theory being that once the combs are so oriented the bees will build on them and eventually attach them to the bars.  Maybe they'll get the idea, maybe not - time will tell.  There are several variations on this theme, but I like mine because this type of TBH "frame" also works for cut-outs (a whole 'nother ball game once you get into beekeeping - I guess I'm a real nut case in this regard).  In building bars I've tried the triangular bottom-type and the one with a kerf in the middle and running its length.  With the triangular bottom, the bottom 1/8" to 1/4" needs to be dipped in hot wax for a guide.  For the kerf-type, a wax bead needs to be melted into the kerf for its length.  The latter is definitely more time-consuming than the former, but for me, the jury is still out as to which
                                  is the better method.  My TBHs are 46.5" long on the inside.  That means that for each hive I have to construct a shit-load (that's a technical term in beekeeping circles) of bars - a very time time-consuming operation.  If you don't believe it, just ask my wife who on more than one occasion has asked me to choose with "either the bees go or I go".  I still can't quite make up my mind.  She is, after all, only one lady.  They are in the 100s of thousands.  Decisions, decisions...

                                  Raf

                                  Now that I'm retiring this looks like a great way to continue with bees
                                  without the big fuss & equipment of langs.  I don't really need the
                                  honey--just love bees.
                                  Robbie
                                  On Jun 14, 2012 1:38 PM, <elegans@...> wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > In a message dated 6/14/2012 9:17:54 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                  > robbie46@... writes:
                                  >
                                  > I've had bees for about 30 years but always in langs. I still have langs
                                  > but have always wanted to try the tbh. The bees I'm using are a late
                                  > swarm
                                  > from one of my langs.
                                  >
                                  > sheesh! There I was preaching to the Choir!! You have it under control.
                                  > What i also love about TBH's is the window. Getting to watch them is a
                                  > treat.
                                  > The first time you see the cluster "part" and see the flash of white comb
                                  > is a goosbump raising moment. Have fun!
                                  >
                                  > George

                                • MICHAEL BOOTH
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                                    On the bars I glue dowl rods for a guide and coat them with wax.  On some I cut a slot/.kerf
                                    one blade width and with others, depending on how the machine is set up, I will use a dado blade two blade widths and set the rod inside the slot.  The slot is around 1/8 deep and the diameter of the dowls vary with what is at hand.  If you have a dado set up you can cut a T out of ripped lumbar.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
                                      >If you
                                      don't believe it, just ask my wife who on more than one occasion has asked me to
                                      choose with "either the bees go or I go". I still can't quite make up my mind.
                                      She is, after all, only one lady. They are in the 100s of thousands.
                                      Decisions, decisions...

                                      Raf

                                      We all get a lil sentimental, Raf, but you know the drill...
                                      Evaluate fairly, objectively, and decide.
                                      Which is more work.
                                      Which can sting, worse.
                                      Which brings in more honey.
                                      Is it time, to artificially supercede.
                                      Propolis is good for prostate, Say, it saves buying it.