Deadline Tuesday: Save the honey bees!

  • Carolyn Chaney
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2012
      Dear Friend,

      Since 2006, U.S. honey bee populations have been in precipitous decline,
      with some estimates suggesting losses as high as 30% per year. While
      that's terrible, the problem is far greater than just the loss of a
      species. Without bees, our food supply is in serious danger. Pollination
      by honey bees is key in cultivating the crops that produce a full
      one-third of our food.

      A leaked memo suggests the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has
      ignored the science linking the pesticide clothianidin to the bee die-
      off.

      Now the EPA is considering whether to renew approval of clothianidin.
      Submit a comment asking EPA to reject this dangers chemical that is
      killing honey bees - hurry, the comment period closes on Tuesday:

      http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/epa_bees/?
      r_by=35258-213286-46ObJzx&rc=mailto1

      Here is what I wrote; feel free to copy:
      Beekeepers have singled out imidacloprid and its chemical cousin
      clothianidin (neonicotinoids), also produced by Bayer CropScience, as
      a cause of bee die-offs around the world for over a decade. More
      recently, the same products have been blamed by American beekeepers,
      who claim the product is a cause of colony collapse disorder, which
      has cost many commercial U.S. beekeepers at least a third of their
      bees since 2006, and threatens the reliability of the world�s food
      supply.
      After neonicotinoids were banned in Italy, bees bounced back. Ban
      them in the US.

      Carolyn Chaney
      cchaney@...

      "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious
      life?" Mary Oliver

    • James Payne
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 19, 2012
        I had an article a few weeks ago that Monsanto planned to introduce a
        Superbee that could withstand the genetic modifications of their crops but
        it would not send. Then Monsanto will control the honey production where
        ever their crops are grown.

        Jim P