Glue for TBH?

  • kewisch@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 16, 2012
      What kind of glue can I use that is food-save and outdoor rated?

      Jorg
    • Blaine Nay
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 17, 2012
        From  http://www.titebond.com:

        "Titebond II Premium Wood Glue is the only leading brand, one-part
        wood glue that passes the ANSI Type II water-resistance specification.
        It is ideal for exterior woodworking projects, including outdoor
        furniture, birdhouses, mailboxes, planters and picnic tables.

        "Titebond II Premium provides a strong initial tack, fast speed of
        set, superior strength and excellent sandability. It is FDA approved
        for indirect food contact (cutting boards) and is ideal for radio
        frequency (R-F) gluing systems."

        That's what I use. I'm very satisfied with it. I also coat the
        exterior of my hives with exterior latex paint to further protect the
        glue as well as to extend the life to f the wood. Paint color?
        Whatever miss-mixed paint the store has on hand.

        Blaine
        www.ironbee.us

        >    Posted by: "kewisch@..." jorg@... kewisch@...
        >    Date: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:08 pm ((PST))
        >
        > What kind of glue can I use that is food-save and outdoor rated?
        >
        > Jorg
      • Jorg Kewisch
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 17, 2012
          Thank you, Blaine. I will look for it.

          Jorg

          Blaine Nay wrote:

          > From http://www.titebond.com:
          >
          > "Titebond II Premium Wood Glue is the only leading brand, one-part
          > wood glue that passes the ANSI Type II water-resistance specification.
          > It is ideal for exterior woodworking projects, including outdoor
          > furniture, birdhouses, mailboxes, planters and picnic tables.
          >
          > "Titebond II Premium provides a strong initial tack, fast speed of
          > set, superior strength and excellent sandability. It is FDA approved
          > for indirect food contact (cutting boards) and is ideal for radio
          > frequency (R-F) gluing systems."
          >
          > That's what I use. I'm very satisfied with it. I also coat the
          > exterior of my hives with exterior latex paint to further protect the
          > glue as well as to extend the life to f the wood. Paint color?
          > Whatever miss-mixed paint the store has on hand.
          >
          > Blaine
          > www.ironbee.us
          >
          > > Posted by: "kewisch@... <mailto:kewisch%40ymail.com>"
          > jorg@... <mailto:jorg%40bnl.gov> kewisch@...
          > <mailto:kewisch%40ymail.com>
          > > Date: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:08 pm ((PST))
          > >
          > > What kind of glue can I use that is food-save and outdoor rated?
          > >
          > > Jorg

        • L. Carlson
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 17, 2012
            yes, thanks for the info... that is good to know

            From: Jorg Kewisch <jorg@...>
            Subject: Re: [TopHive] Re: Glue for TBH?
            To: TopHive@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Friday, February 17, 2012, 9:06 AM

            Blaine Nay wrote:

            > From http://www.titebond.com:
            >
            > "Titebond II Premium Wood Glue is the only leading brand, one-part
            > wood glue that passes the ANSI Type II water-resistance specification.
            > It is ideal for exterior woodworking projects, including outdoor
            > furniture, birdhouses, mailboxes, planters and picnic tables.
            >
            > "Titebond II Premium provides a strong initial tack, fast speed of
            > set, superior strength and excellent sandability. It is FDA approved
            > for indirect food contact (cutting boards) and is ideal for radio
            > frequency (R-F) gluing systems."
            >
            > That's what I use. I'm very satisfied with it. I also coat the
            > exterior of my hives with exterior latex paint to further protect the
            > glue as well as to extend the life to f the wood. Paint color?
            > Whatever miss-mixed paint the store has on hand.
            >
            > Blaine
            > www.ironbee.us
            >
            > > Posted by: "kewisch@... <mailto:kewisch%40ymail.com>"
            > jorg@... <mailto:jorg%40bnl.gov> kewisch@...
            > <mailto:kewisch%40ymail.com>
            > > Date: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:08 pm ((PST))
            > >
            > > What kind of glue can I use that is food-save and outdoor rated?
            > >
            > > Jorg

          • roger g
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 18, 2012
              i've use it for yrs and very satisfied with it. didn't know about food safety but i've used it putting all my hive parted together. If you get a break they wood around it will break as well, i've never seen a clean break with just the glue exposed. roger NJ

              --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Blaine Nay <blainenay@...> wrote:

              > From  http://www.titebond.com:
              >
              > "Titebond II Premium Wood Glue is the only leading brand, one-part
              > wood glue that passes the ANSI Type II water-resistance specification.
              > It is ideal for exterior woodworking projects, including outdoor
              > furniture, birdhouses, mailboxes, planters and picnic tables.
              >
              > "Titebond II Premium provides a strong initial tack, fast speed of
              > set, superior strength and excellent sandability. It is FDA approved
              > for indirect food contact (cutting boards) and is ideal for radio
              > frequency (R-F) gluing systems."
              >
              > That's what I use. I'm very satisfied with it. I also coat the
              > exterior of my hives with exterior latex paint to further protect the
              > glue as well as to extend the life to f the wood. Paint color?
              > Whatever miss-mixed paint the store has on hand.
              >
              > Blaine
              > www.ironbee.us
              >

              > >    Posted by: "kewisch@..." jorg@... kewisch@...
              > >    Date: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:08 pm ((PST))
              > >
              > > What kind of glue can I use that is food-save and outdoor rated?
              > >
              > > Jorg

            • Christy Hemenway
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 18, 2012
                Good suggestion on the glue - but if you wanted to take it one step further - one-piece top bars, with no glues and no screws - are still your best long-term bet.

                Also - did you know that most latex paint off-gasses for up to five years? It's true - and what do they off-gas? Formaldehyde. Known for triggering serious reactions, and also found in laminated plywoods and chipboard. (Do we really paint our kids' bedrooms with this stuff???)

                But one company - Mythic - makes a high quality, non-toxic exterior latex, comes in a billion beautiful colors, stands up well to outdoor use, and it doesn't off-gas a thing. That's why we use it on the roofs of our Deluxe Gold Star hives, where the roof comes painted.

                Check out Mythic paint's website here: http://www.mythicpaint.com/ They'll ship to you if you don't live close to somebody who carries it.

                -- Christy Hemenway
                GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
                PO Box 1061
                Bath, Maine, USA 04530
                207-449-1121
                www.goldstarhoneybees.com

                "When one tugs at a single thing in nature, one finds it attached to the rest of the world." -- John Muir