<-- New here!

  • zilla963
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2012
      Hello! My husband and I just moved onto our mini-farm about a year ago and are getting ready to start doing bees. After research we decided to go with Top Bar in part because that is something my husband can build (he is a carpenter)
      We are in S.Central Wisconsin have 2 acres, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 5 guineas and (for now) 24 chickens. We are hoping this year to add bees and a lamb or two for fall meat.

      Looking forward to learning about the topbar system and bees.
    • Rafael Montag
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2012
        Hi:

        Welcome to Top Bar Hive beekeeping.  If your husband is a carpenter he could build the standard Langstroth hive as well, but unless I miss my guess, you opted for TBH because of the simplicity of construction.  This is my first year as a beekeeper and right now my girls are overwintering in Maryland.  I hope you've already ordered your bees as this is already late in the season and you may have a tough time finding packages (nukes will not work on TBHs due to configuration reasons) for the Spring of 2012.  Any questions regarding beekeeping, or TBH beekeeping, just holler.

        Raf

        Hello! My husband and I just moved onto our mini-farm about a year ago and are getting ready to start doing bees. After research we decided to go with Top Bar in part because that is something my husband can build (he is a carpenter)
        We are in S.Central Wisconsin have 2 acres, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 5 guineas and (for now) 24 chickens. We are hoping this year to add bees and a lamb or two for fall meat.

        Looking forward to learning about the topbar system and bees.

      • L. Carlson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2012
          Actually, no we havent ordered, and here we thought we were still ahead of the game... hopefully we will be able to get an order in..
          yes part of the reason we are going with TBH is simplicity, hubby is a master carpenter, but works full time and has a lot of other chores/hobbies on weekends that take up his time.

          We look forward to pulling all this together! ( hopefully on time!)

          From: Rafael Montag <rmontag48@...>
          Subject: Re: [TopHive] <-- New here!
          To: "TopHive@yahoogroups.com" <TopHive@yahoogroups.com>
          Date: Friday, January 6, 2012, 12:18 PM

        • elegans@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2012
            Welcome to Top barring!

            After I figured out where to put my TBH, I bees waxed the inside a lot esp
            on the bars, THEN put a few drops of Bee lure I purchased form a local
            keeper. 4 days later A colony took up housekeeping and they've been with me
            ever since. _http://beehappysolutions.com_ (http://beehappysolutions.com) I'm
            a believer in locally adapted feral bees being given a chance. Any hoot
            just a thought.

            George McRae
            El Cerrito, CA