Re: lil action

  • roger g
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2011
      did you move brood pars to one end priorto cold weather?? put brood & bees at one end and the honey after, most put brood by entracne. so bees will eat in one direction for winter. if they are in midle they'll eat towards one end and not know enough to move the the other end for food.. where you located. roger

      --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Traci Perg <tgperg@...> wrote:

      > I've had an awful year here too, same reason really. Drought came and the
      > bees ate all their stores. Couldn't get much of a fall flow either. I've
      > fed them and hopefully they'll be okay. I had one hive that was really
      > weak. They wouldn't forage much, and had only built up one and a half
      > medium boxes in a foundationless Lang with drawn out comb. I decided to
      > take their stores and give them to the top bar hive. Hopefully that'll get
      > my girls in the TBH through the winter. All the beeks around here say that
      > they can't get a TBH through the winter. Any ideas for winterproofing? I've
      > put a quilt filled with pine shavings, a la a Warre hive on top of my top
      > bars but under the roof, and I have a roll of denim filled with pine
      > shavings that I'm going to put under the screened bottom board. Should I do
      > anything else for them? This is my first year.
      >
      > Traci
      >
      > --
      > "We hold this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassing power may be
      > of G-d and not from us. We are afflicted in every way, but not constrained;
      > perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck
      > down, but not destroyed"
      > 2 Corinthians 4: 7-9

    • Kelly S
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 20, 2011
        Well, this is our first year. I'm not sure how we're doing, honestly. I'm
        hoping to have a hive in spring, but I'm thinking they are going in too
        light, and it's going to be a toss up whether or not it will make it
        through. If we do, we'll add a second top bar hive. Either from a split or
        from new bees. I think I need a second hive to compare against each other.

        Kelly

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2011
          Sure... Here's a laugh-

          http://inhabitat.com/philips-unveils-sexy-concept-bee-keeping-gadget/

          Philips’ just unveiled a new concept for an urban beehive that would allow anyone to become an amateur bee keeper – even those who live in apartments with no backyards. The pod-like hive attaches to a hole cut into a pane of glass. Once affixed, the glass covered pod on the inside of the window would allow you to peer into the hive while the white entryway on the outside would allow the bees the freedom come and go. Best of all, with the pull of a small cord you can have all of the fresh honey your heart desires.

          http://inhabitat.com/philips-unveils-sexy-concept-bee-keeping-gadget/
          <see pix>
          -more-

          Philips’ beehive concept was unveiled as a part of their Microbial Home Design unveiled at Dutch Design Week. The Microbial Home is an adventure in rethinking domestic life, with the centerpiece being a digester kitchen that turns waste into methane to provide power for the house. The urban beehive was one of many designs included in the showpiece home.

          The beehive comes complete with an array of frames textured to make it easy for bees to build on them. It also comes equipped with a hole to blow smoke into — the traditional way of calming bees — in case the hive needs to be opened from the inside to be inspected. We’re sure there would be more to the keeping of these bees if the hive actually were to hit the market but so far it seems like a simple, elegant way to lend a helping hand to the bee crisis and get some sweetness in return.

          + Philips Urban Beehive

          Read more: Philips Unveils Sexy Urban Beehive Concept | Inhabitat - Green Design Will Save the World

          Just to remind you all-
          No questions, No answers, either good or bad...

          Happy NonDeNominational HollyDaze-
          & God Bless!
          ;>)

          BillSF9c

          "Small minds discuss people,
          average minds discuss events,
          great minds discuss ideas."
          - Eleanor Roosevelt -
          [confirms] http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/warrebeekeeping

          -----

          Tomato, a Fruit - NOW Pizza a Vegetable
          Yup. Congress again. How'd ya know !?!
          How Pizza Became A Vegetable Through The Magic Of Influence-Peddling
          http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/16/pizza-vegetable-school-lunches-lobbyists_n_1098029.html