Re: [TopHive] Digest Number 876

  • ColbyDog
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 18, 2011
      Sounds more like site rejection. Near as I've read, CCD is not a group departure, but more of a die- off. Not heard anyone claim it's a mass movement.

      When a colony decides the home is unsuitable, for whatever reason, they up and leave. Like when an old hollow tree with a colony, losesa limb to a storm resulting in water, air and varmit entry, bees reject the site and abandon a formerly working hive.

      Now the question is- why yours?

      Spreading the Buzz.
      Give Bees a Chance!
      www.beepods.com

    • scry43
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 21, 2011
        Could be that, yes, but usually they reject a site somewhat earlier in the process - well before they invest comb and brood...
        And in that case we usually call it absconding...
        What is absconding to your way of thinking?

        -- Christy

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, ColbyDog <colbydog@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > by a good cause.
        > >
        > > Y! Toolbar
        > > Get it Free!
        > >
        > > easy 1-click access
        > >
        > > to your groups.
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups
        > > Start a group
        > >
        > > in 3 easy steps.
        > >
        > > Connect with others.
        > >
        > > Need to Reply?
        > > Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.
        > > Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
        > > Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Calendar
        > > The group archive and other pages can be accessed at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive
        > >
        > > Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
        > > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch format to Traditional
        > > Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

      • Barry Jackson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 21, 2011
          Hi Christy
          doesn't sound like absconding to me, because of the brood, eggs etc. If the
          new swarm isn't happy they often abscond which is why some folk keep the
          queen in the hive by using a Queen *includer*. If they are a new swarm and
          full of honey they would normally begin drawing comb straightaway. Not
          convinced with their new home they leave fairly quickly within a day or two.

          Bee happy
          Barry

        • P.H. Rankin Hansen
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 22, 2011
            Something like this can happen for numerous reasons.

            Absconding can be caused by predators, pests, disease, smells, too much
            sun, etc. etc

            One reason is oil of cloves, where one single drop in the hive has been
            known to cause absconding. Some beekeepers use oil of cloves on their
            hands in stead of gloves, and naturally some overdo it.

            --
            venlig hilsen / best regards / vy 73 de OZ4PH& 5P1H

            Peter H. Rankin Hansen
            Stjærvej 15, Storring
            DK-8464 Galten
            Danmark

            (+45) 7586 1688 / (+45) 2211 9611

            Si vis pacem, para bellum - if you want peace, prepare for war.