Where can I find the bottom screen?

  • amyhan@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 6 , May 12, 2011
      We are almost finished with our TBH but I'm having a really hard time finding the hardware cloth for the bottom that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg or isn't a large amount. Where do you buy this?
    • AarTiana
      Message 2 of 6 , May 12, 2011
        What exact kind of fabric are you seeking?

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "amyhan@..." <amyhan@...> wrote:

        > We are almost finished with our TBH but I'm having a really hard time finding the hardware cloth for the bottom that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg or isn't a large amount. Where do you buy this?
      • Traci Perg
        Message 3 of 6 , May 12, 2011
          Hobby Lobby. It's plastic and they use it for needle crafts. I got mine for
          a couple bucks a sheet.

          Traci

          --
          "We hold this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassing power may be
          of G-d and not from us. We are afflicted in every way, but not constrained;

        • Eric Rocher
          Message 4 of 6 , May 12, 2011
            You can go to ace hardware and buy it by the feet. It cost me $20 for 4
            hives and I still have some left over.
            Eric

            On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:14 AM, amyhan@... <amyhan@...
            > wrote:

            > We are almost finished with our TBH but I'm having a really hard time
            > finding the hardware cloth for the bottom that isn't going to cost an arm
            > and a leg or isn't a large amount. Where do you buy this?

          • Vicky Tuite
            Message 5 of 6 , May 12, 2011
              Make sure you get 1/8" hardware or smaller. Overlaying 2 pieces of 1/4"
              didn't work on a swarm capture box. :)

              On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Eric Rocher <eric.rocher11@...>wrote:

              > You can go to ace hardware and buy it by the feet. It cost me $20 for 4
              > hives and I still have some left over.
              > Eric
              >
              > On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:14 AM, amyhan@... <
              > amyhan@...
              > > wrote:
              >

              > > We are almost finished with our TBH but I'm having a really hard time
              > > finding the hardware cloth for the bottom that isn't going to cost an arm
              > > and a leg or isn't a large amount. Where do you buy this?

            • Christy Hemenway
              Message 6 of 6 , May 13, 2011
                Amy --

                You're looking for what's generally called 1/8th inch hardware cloth. It's got 8 squares to the inch - big enough for varroa mites to fall through, small enough to keep bees in.
                Ace Hardware does sell it by the foot - and will cut it to length for you. If you're near an Ace Hardware...

                Places like Home Depot and Lowe's, though - they will want to sell you a 100 foot roll. This annoys us - it's the reason we include the hardware in our do-it-yourself kits.

                So - point being, I have some. Email me off-list and I can hook you up.

                -- Christy Hemenway
                GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
                PO Box 1061
                Bath, Maine, USA 04530
                207-449-1121
                www.goldstarhoneybees.com

                "When one tugs at a single thing in nature, one finds it attached to the rest of the world." -- John Muir