how much die-off do you experience in mild climates?

  • girl mark
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2005
      I"m not sure if this has been covered recently as I hadn't been reading
      the list. My apologies if I'm repeating anything.

      How much of a die-off in a TBH have you TBH'ers experienced in mild
      climates? percentage of a full hive box for instance. I"m not terribly
      familiar with Langstroth beekeeping so please if replying from a
      Langstroth perspective try and describe percentages compared to what you
      had at the end of the summer, combs of brood versus honey, etc.. In my
      area we have nectar all winter (San Francisco Bay Area) , and I'm sure
      die-off is different in different climates. Do cold-climate beekeepers
      see brood in wintertime at all?

      Mark
    • girl mark
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2005
        apologies- I sent this to two lists. I HAVE been reading the 'thread' I
        started on the top hive list, it'd be rude to post and disappear.

        mark

        girl mark wrote:

        >I"m not sure if this has been covered recently as I hadn't been reading
        >the list.

      • scot.mcpherson
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2005
          Hiya Mark,
          Well the style of the hive really isn't going to effect
          survivability so long as it follows certain rules which pertain to
          space, ventilation and effective shelter. So long as you do provide good
          amounts of these, your bees will do fine if they are equiped with stores
          for winter and early spring.

          The reason why TBHers and Lang beekeepers have differences in
          perspective is because the management styles of the different hives are
          usually different, because trying to manage a tbh like a lang is more
          work than its worth really, and if you wanted to work your hive like a
          lang then you should stick with a lang (I don't mean you, I mean
          beekeepers at large)

          Scot McPherson
          McPherson Family Honey Farm
          Davenport, IA

          girl mark wrote:

          >I"m not sure if this has been covered recently as I hadn't been reading

          >the list.

          The group archive and other pages can be accessed at
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 12, 2005
            yeah I agree on the 'work it like the type of hive it is' school of
            thought .

            I was actually wondering what's 'normal' (I know it'll vary wildly) for
            how much the colony shrinks, percentage-wise, in strange warm places
            like California - my bees kicked out the drones and their numbers have
            gone down by 1/3, but here they forage and raise brood all winter (40F
            night /50F day is the coldest it gets here and there's a lot blooming
            all winter long). I forget what's 'normal' in terms of winter population
            reductions.

            Mark