New member, "editable7"

  • P.H. Rankin Hansen
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2005
      Comment from user:
      I've got 8 hives and one TTBH. I'd like to hear about anyone who does
      pollenation services using TBH's. I hope to expand my TBH's this coming
      season. -thanks

      --

      Ping.

      venlig hilsen / best regards / vy 73 de

      P.H. Rankin Hansen
      Grædstrupvej 53, Grædstrup
      DK-8740 Brædstrup
      Tlf: 2211 9611
      oz4ph
    • scot.mcpherson
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2005
        The biggest issues with TBHs and pollination is transportation issues. 2
        big things about TBHs, they aren't as modularly stackable as lang style
        hives. Though you might be able to palletize 2 or 4 hives together.
        Probably 2 though.

        2ndly, new comb is VERY fragile. By necessity, you really should do post
        transportation inspections so you don't break important support
        attachements and burr comb. You need to harvest the honey first before
        transportation because honey storage comb is very soft since its never
        been used for brood, and its very heavy. If it broke in trasportation
        that would be a lot of lost honey.

        I do pollination with TBHs, I just follow these principles:
        Don't use new colonies with new comb, use only mature colonies.
        Harvest honey BEFORE you transport at end of pollination.
        Don't inspect right before you move your transport your hives. Give them
        time to reseal and rebuild supports.
        Even then, don't drive like a maniac, it only takes one breaking comb to
        cause a collapse of the rest.
        Place the hives on the truck so the combs FACE side to side, so when you
        are breaking and accelerating, you aren't stressing the combs. Take
        turns slowly enough that you don't have to grab onto your seat to keep
        from falling over.

        Scot McPherson
        McPherson Family Honey Farm
        Davenport, IA

        I've got 8 hives and one TTBH. I'd like to hear about anyone who does
        pollenation services using TBH's. I hope to expand my TBH's this coming
        season. -thanks

        --

        Ping.

        venlig hilsen / best regards / vy 73 de

        P.H. Rankin Hansen
        Grædstrupvej 53, Grædstrup
        DK-8740 Brædstrup
        Tlf: 2211 9611
        oz4ph

        The group archive and other pages can be accessed at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive