Mail Order TBH kit arrived

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 14, 2011
      I purchased a TBH kit from Honey Bee Habitat for $100 plus S&H. I hope to collect several swarms. I have been cleaning up the Langstroth hives my father had and building new frames. Found a place to put the hives away from city. Now if I can get some bees. Put a add in Craigslist, so far only received spam.

      Any beekeepers in MS and area? How have you fared with swarms?
    • tgplyn
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 24, 2011
        I live in Oklahoma and built a top bar hive this month. I got my first swarm by calling beekeepers on our state beekeepers association website and asking if they had swarms. One of the people I called works for a no kill pest solution company. He brought me a swarm, then the next week called me and asked if I wanted to go get a swarm myself. So far I've gone to get two easy swarms. Now I need more hives!

        Traci

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <raydaniel@...> wrote:

        > I purchased a TBH kit from Honey Bee Habitat for $100 plus S&H. I hope to collect several swarms. I have been cleaning up the Langstroth hives my father had and building new frames. Found a place to put the hives away from city. Now if I can get some bees. Put a add in Craigslist, so far only received spam.
        >
        > Any beekeepers in MS and area? How have you fared with swarms?

      • Amanda Bradshaw
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 25, 2011
          I am interested in obtaining a swarm because I am starting late in the game. When you got your swarm from pest control was there any money exchanged either way? I wanted to know if I should offer something to the pest control when I call them or if they are just happy to have someone take them off their hands.

          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "tgplyn" <tgperg@...> wrote:

          > I live in Oklahoma and built a top bar hive this month. I got my first swarm by calling beekeepers on our state beekeepers association website and asking if they had swarms. One of the people I called works for a no kill pest solution company. He brought me a swarm, then the next week called me and asked if I wanted to go get a swarm myself. So far I've gone to get two easy swarms. Now I need more hives!
          >
          > Traci
          >
          > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <raydaniel@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I purchased a TBH kit from Honey Bee Habitat for $100 plus S&H. I hope to collect several swarms. I have been cleaning up the Langstroth hives my father had and building new frames. Found a place to put the hives away from city. Now if I can get some bees. Put a add in Craigslist, so far only received spam.
          > >
          > > Any beekeepers in MS and area? How have you fared with swarms?

        • Traci Perg
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 25, 2011
            On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Amanda Bradshaw <bradshawbella@...>wrote:

            > I am interested in obtaining a swarm because I am starting late in the
            > game. When you got your swarm from pest control was there any money
            > exchanged either way? I wanted to know if I should offer something to the
            > pest control when I call them or if they are just happy to have someone take
            > them off their hands.

            It varies by person. Some people wanted money for their swarms. The amounts
            discussed ranged from $35 to $120. $35 was putting them into my hive, $120
            was them started in a box. The man who gave me my swarm eventually didn't
            want any money for them, just wanted to be rid of them. The swarms that I
            have gone to collect, the homeowners have paid me for taking away their
            bees. Crazy, huh? :D

            Traci

            --
            "We hold this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassing power may be
            of G-d and not from us. We are afflicted in every way, but not constrained;