RE: [TopHive] Digest Number 102

  • scot.mcpherson
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 17, 2005
      Well the initial plan is five 1 acre yards, but that maybe just
      increased to a 6th with some luck here with someone who let me know they
      would mind me having bees on their land. Where I am I can buy land
      pretty cheaply in the surrounding area.

      Scot

      From: Daron Page

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 06:19:05 -0800 (PST)
      From: Daron Page
      Subject: RE: so, how did you get started in top bar beekeeping?

      so scott what is the perfect design,

      "scot.mcpherson" wrote: I know some members are a bit tweaked that a
      send tbhers to other lists, but quite frankly mark has just demonstrated
      why I do so. Having said this I would like to see some discussion here
      and wonder why if people want discussion that the membership here does
      just go ahead and chat.

      I have been keeping bees for over 20 years now. My operation is
      completely organic in practices. I practice zero tolerance for
      treatments whether organic certified or otherwise. The only feeding the
      bees get are new installations only until they can fend for themselves,
      and that's usually only 1 or 2 lbs of sugar per hive.

      I got started with topbarhives after returning from military service,
      getting married and being broke wanting to return to bees. I really
      couldn't afford to by standard equipment and found tbhs. It took an
      extra year to get started and so could do some research and development
      for a whole year to come up with a perfect design. I bought bees from
      ken at buckeye bee, and had 4 new hives going that spring. Now I have
      been keeping bees in tbhs for 4 years, and am building 500 new hives and
      bought 500 packages for this spring.

      Scot Mc Pherson
      McPherson Family Honey Farms
      Davenport, IA
      Bradenton, FL
      http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/
      http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org

      Soon to be Texas E-Shiper
      S.E. of Dallas,mild winters,(long)hot and humid summers
      Daron

      The group archive and other pages can be accessed at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

      roup archive and other pages can be accessed at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Chip Phelps
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 18, 2005
        Scot,

        So what is the perfect design? Do you have plans for it? Specs?
        Pictures?

        Thanks in advance,

        -Chip

        scot.mcpherson wrote:

        >I got started with topbarhives after returning from military service,
        >getting married and being broke wanting to return to bees. I really
        >couldn't afford to by standard equipment and found tbhs. It took an
        >extra year to get started and so could do some research and development
        >for a whole year to come up with a perfect design.

      • Paul Rowland
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
          I've been keeping bees for about 3 years and wanted to investigate TBH.