Re: Intro - New TBH beek in NJ

  • roger g
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2011
      HI Paul
      I'm in NJ also, BUilt my topbars from plans availible on the net. I've made some aterations as i go. I've built 6 so far. For my first packg i cut a frame of brood from a lang to give them a start and something for a reason to keep them there. I have even made a lang long hive LOL. I make all my hive parts as well,most from rough cut lumber i plane to thickness.
      One thing i'll advise you on is some sort of mouse gaurd for winter, I have lot of trouble with them this winter. My design is still on planing table. if someone has an idea i'd listen. thinking something out of 1/4" mesh wire. Roger NJ
      PS i also thank ths group for all great info given here and agree w/ping, ive us a link but don't push your wares

      --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "ja_mowie" <jamowie@...> wrote:
      > First off, Thank you for this group! I've been lurking here for a few days and there's lots of great info here for a newbee to TBHs.
    • P.H. Rankin Hansen
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2011
        > One thing i'll advise you on is some sort of mouse gaurd for winter,
        I have lot of trouble with them this winter.

        I'll second that. This winter, I lost several families to mice, as I had
        used some slap-together hive bottoms without mouse guards.

        Another item that may come in handy, is a robber screen. I lost two
        families last summer to robbery, as I didn't have robber screen that
        would fit those (same) hives.

        Ping.

        --
        venlig hilsen / best regards / vy 73 de OZ4PH& 5P1H

        Peter H. Rankin Hansen
        Stjærvej 15, Storring
        DK-8464 Galten
        Danmark

        (+45) 7586 1688 / (+45) 2211 9611

        Si vis pacem, para bellum - if you want peace, prepare for war.