Re: [TopHive] Digest Number 102

  • GEORGE McCAMMON
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 17, 2005
      Dear Robert,

      I am on vacation in Switzerland at the moment and would contact you when I return to Guyana by the beginning of December.

      George E.McCammon

      Robert Cunningham <Waywont@...> wrote:
      500 packages? Wow... how many outyards will you be running?

      I'd be interested in knowing more about your design. I'd like to have all the info I can get before starting to build my own.

      -Robert C

      TopHive@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. RE: so, how did you get started in top bar beekeeping?
      From: Daron Page

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 06:19:05 -0800 (PST)
      From: Daron Page
      Subject: RE: so, how did you get started in top bar beekeeping?

      so scott what is the perfect design,

      "scot.mcpherson" wrote: I know some members are a bit tweaked that a send tbhers to other lists, but quite frankly mark has just demonstrated why I do so. Having said this I would like to see some discussion here and wonder why if people want discussion that the membership here does just go ahead and chat.

      I have been keeping bees for over 20 years now. My operation is completely organic in practices. I practice zero tolerance for treatments whether organic certified or otherwise. The only feeding the bees get are new installations only until they can fend for themselves, and that’s usually only 1 or 2 lbs of sugar per hive.

      I got started with topbarhives after returning from military service, getting married and being broke wanting to return to bees. I really couldn't afford to by standard equipment and found tbhs. It took an extra year to get started and so could do some research and development for a whole year to come up with a perfect design. I bought bees from ken at buckeye bee, and had 4 new hives going that spring. Now I have been keeping bees in tbhs for 4 years, and am building 500 new hives and bought 500 packages for this spring.

      Scot Mc Pherson
      McPherson Family Honey Farms
      Davenport, IA
      Bradenton, FL
      http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/
      http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org

      Soon to be Texas E-Shiper
      S.E. of Dallas,mild winters,(long)hot and humid summers
      Daron

      Beekeeping Tbh Beekeeping supplies Beekeeping equipment

      ---------------------------------

    • scot.mcpherson
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 17, 2005
        Well the initial plan is five 1 acre yards, but that maybe just
        increased to a 6th with some luck here with someone who let me know they
        would mind me having bees on their land. Where I am I can buy land
        pretty cheaply in the surrounding area.

        Scot

        From: Daron Page

        Message: 1
        Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 06:19:05 -0800 (PST)
        From: Daron Page

        so scott what is the perfect design,

        "scot.mcpherson" wrote: I know some members are a bit tweaked that a
        send tbhers to other lists, but quite frankly mark has just demonstrated
        why I do so. Having said this I would like to see some discussion here
        and wonder why if people want discussion that the membership here does
        just go ahead and chat.

        I have been keeping bees for over 20 years now. My operation is
        completely organic in practices. I practice zero tolerance for
        treatments whether organic certified or otherwise. The only feeding the
        bees get are new installations only until they can fend for themselves,
        and that's usually only 1 or 2 lbs of sugar per hive.

        I got started with topbarhives after returning from military service,
        getting married and being broke wanting to return to bees. I really
        couldn't afford to by standard equipment and found tbhs. It took an
        extra year to get started and so could do some research and development
        for a whole year to come up with a perfect design. I bought bees from
        ken at buckeye bee, and had 4 new hives going that spring. Now I have
        been keeping bees in tbhs for 4 years, and am building 500 new hives and
        bought 500 packages for this spring.

        Scot Mc Pherson
        McPherson Family Honey Farms
        Davenport, IA
        Bradenton, FL
        http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/
        http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org

      • Chip Phelps
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 18, 2005
          Scot,

          So what is the perfect design? Do you have plans for it? Specs?
          Pictures?

          Thanks in advance,

          -Chip

          scot.mcpherson wrote:

          >I got started with topbarhives after returning from military service,
          >getting married and being broke wanting to return to bees. I really
          >couldn't afford to by standard equipment and found tbhs. It took an
          >extra year to get started and so could do some research and development
          >for a whole year to come up with a perfect design.

        • Paul Rowland
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
            I've been keeping bees for about 3 years and wanted to investigate TBH.