Re: [TopHive] Digest Number 102

  • Robert Cunningham
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 17, 2005
      500 packages? Wow... how many outyards will you be running?

      I'd be interested in knowing more about your design. I'd like to have all the info I can get before starting to build my own.

      -Robert C

      TopHive@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. RE: so, how did you get started in top bar beekeeping?
      From: Daron Page

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 06:19:05 -0800 (PST)
      From: Daron Page
      Subject: RE: so, how did you get started in top bar beekeeping?

      so scott what is the perfect design,

      "scot.mcpherson" wrote: I know some members are a bit tweaked that a send tbhers to other lists, but quite frankly mark has just demonstrated why I do so. Having said this I would like to see some discussion here and wonder why if people want discussion that the membership here does just go ahead and chat.

      I have been keeping bees for over 20 years now. My operation is completely organic in practices. I practice zero tolerance for treatments whether organic certified or otherwise. The only feeding the bees get are new installations only until they can fend for themselves, and that’s usually only 1 or 2 lbs of sugar per hive.

      I got started with topbarhives after returning from military service, getting married and being broke wanting to return to bees. I really couldn't afford to by standard equipment and found tbhs. It took an extra year to get started and so could do some research and development for a whole year to come up with a perfect design. I bought bees from ken at buckeye bee, and had 4 new hives going that spring. Now I have been keeping bees in tbhs for 4 years, and am building 500 new hives and bought 500 packages for this spring.

      Scot Mc Pherson
      McPherson Family Honey Farms
      Davenport, IA
      Bradenton, FL
      http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/
      http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org

      Soon to be Texas E-Shiper
      S.E. of Dallas,mild winters,(long)hot and humid summers
      Daron

    • GEORGE McCAMMON

        From: Daron Page

        Message: 1
        Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 06:19:05 -0800 (PST)
        From: Daron Page

        so scott what is the perfect design,

        "scot.mcpherson" wrote: I know some members are a bit tweaked that a send tbhers to other lists, but quite frankly mark has just demonstrated why I do so. Having said this I would like to see some discussion here and wonder why if people want discussion that the membership here does just go ahead and chat.

        I have been keeping bees for over 20 years now. My operation is completely organic in practices. I practice zero tolerance for treatments whether organic certified or otherwise. The only feeding the bees get are new installations only until they can fend for themselves, and that’s usually only 1 or 2 lbs of sugar per hive.

        I got started with topbarhives after returning from military service, getting married and being broke wanting to return to bees. I really couldn't afford to by standard equipment and found tbhs. It took an extra year to get started and so could do some research and development for a whole year to come up with a perfect design. I bought bees from ken at buckeye bee, and had 4 new hives going that spring. Now I have been keeping bees in tbhs for 4 years, and am building 500 new hives and bought 500 packages for this spring.

        Scot Mc Pherson
        McPherson Family Honey Farms
        Davenport, IA
        Bradenton, FL
        http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/
        http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org

        Beekeeping Tbh Beekeeping supplies Beekeeping equipment

        ---------------------------------

      • scot.mcpherson
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 17, 2005
          Well the initial plan is five 1 acre yards, but that maybe just
          increased to a 6th with some luck here with someone who let me know they
          would mind me having bees on their land. Where I am I can buy land
          pretty cheaply in the surrounding area.

          Scot

          From: Daron Page

          Message: 1
          Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 06:19:05 -0800 (PST)
          From: Daron Page

          so scott what is the perfect design,

          "scot.mcpherson" wrote: I know some members are a bit tweaked that a
          send tbhers to other lists, but quite frankly mark has just demonstrated
          why I do so. Having said this I would like to see some discussion here
          and wonder why if people want discussion that the membership here does
          just go ahead and chat.

          I have been keeping bees for over 20 years now. My operation is
          completely organic in practices. I practice zero tolerance for
          treatments whether organic certified or otherwise. The only feeding the
          bees get are new installations only until they can fend for themselves,
          and that's usually only 1 or 2 lbs of sugar per hive.

          I got started with topbarhives after returning from military service,
          getting married and being broke wanting to return to bees. I really
          couldn't afford to by standard equipment and found tbhs. It took an
          extra year to get started and so could do some research and development
          for a whole year to come up with a perfect design. I bought bees from
          ken at buckeye bee, and had 4 new hives going that spring. Now I have
          been keeping bees in tbhs for 4 years, and am building 500 new hives and
          bought 500 packages for this spring.

          Scot Mc Pherson
          McPherson Family Honey Farms
          Davenport, IA
          Bradenton, FL
          http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/
          http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org

        • Chip Phelps
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 18, 2005
            Scot,

            So what is the perfect design? Do you have plans for it? Specs?
            Pictures?

            Thanks in advance,

            -Chip

            scot.mcpherson wrote:

            >I got started with topbarhives after returning from military service,
            >getting married and being broke wanting to return to bees. I really
            >couldn't afford to by standard equipment and found tbhs. It took an
            >extra year to get started and so could do some research and development
            >for a whole year to come up with a perfect design.

          • Paul Rowland
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
              I've been keeping bees for about 3 years and wanted to investigate TBH.