RE: [TopHive] Shipping top bar hives to Canada

  • James Zitting
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2011
      They are new equipment. I will inquire more tomorrow and make sure they know
      that there are not bees involved.

      James

      www.beelanding.com

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
        IF there is no colony involved just declare it as a wood box. If there are bees in it then it becomes another matter.. new and unused condition. Nut of bees were in it or it had been used by bees there would be concern of pests or disease.

        Jim P

        gord@... <mailto:gord@...> Phone: +1.613.530-5662

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
          Have any of you folks experienced this? Any advice on how to sweet talk
          them? I'm not Canadian, and not familiar with the system north of the
          border.

          Thanks, James

          They're not used equipment are they, Jim? I can't imagine why they'd
          have a problem with what amounts to a stack of lumber. Our border is
          closed to US bees, so the only thing I can think of is that they think
          there's a colony involved.

          Cheers,
          ....G

          On 31/01/2011 7:29 PM, James Zitting wrote:

          > Have any of you had any trouble shipping TBH's to Canada? I am getting
          > flack
          > from the Canada Food Inspection Agency. Let me know if you have experience
          > with this.
          >
          > Thanks, James
          >
          > www.beelanding.com

          Gord Campbell
          Beekeeper
          Seldom Fools Apiculture
          http://sfapiculture.ca 887 Plainview Place
          Kingston, ON K7P 2K3
          CANADA
          gord@... <mailto:gord%40sfapiculture.ca>
          <mailto:gord@... <mailto:gord%40sfapiculture.ca> > Phone:
          +1.613.530-5662

          The Canadian Leader in Sustainable Beekeeping.^(TM)Follow Us on Twitter
          <http://www.twitter.com/SeldomFools>

        • tom obrien
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
            ?ship it to Canada as a wooden box

            tom

            http://longlangwithlegs.blogspot.com/2009_06_01_archive.html
            > Have any of you folks experienced this? Any advice on how to sweet talk
            > them? I'm not Canadian, and not familiar with the system north of the
            > border.
            >

            > Thanks, James

          • Gord Campbell
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
              James, exactly what are they saying? Let me know if they're quoting any
              regulations (which they should be) and I can find them for you.

              I assume you're breaking it down for shipping? Mark it as a hive starter
              kit? Emphasize that there is no livestock involved.

              Cheers,
              .....G