Re: [TopHive] overwintering in the frozen north

  • Gord Campbell
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2010
      We're heading into our third winter and have had no issues with cold
      this far. We build our hive bodies from 5/4 rough-cut pine and that has
      plenty of thermal mass to keep things where they need it. Just close the
      bottom board and mouse-screen the entrances. We're doing a bit of
      experimenting with a variation on a warre quilt for the top and it looks
      promising. One hive lost its roof in a New Year's gale and spent a week
      in -30C overnight temps before we could get over toe check on it. Last
      winter, that same hive lost its bottom board at some point and they've
      come through with flying colours. Needless to say, that's our breeder
      hive. ;-)

      As Tom mentioned, a certain amount of air circulation is needed to
      remove any moisture. It's kind of gratifying to see icicles hanging from
      the bottom board in January.

      Cheers,
      .....G

      On 24/12/2010 7:00 AM, James Zitting wrote:

      > Hey all,
      >
      > I have a customer who lives north of north Dakota in Canada wanting to
      > use a
      > top bar hive. She is concerned about overwintering, and if she should
      > insulate. Can you folks with northern experience tell me how you have
      > fared
      > so far?
      >
      > Merry Christmas!!
      >
      > James Zitting

      Gord Campbell
      Beekeeper - Partner
      Seldom Fools Apiculture
      http://sfapiculture.ca 887 Plainview Place
      Kingston, ON K7P 2K3
      CANADA
      gord@... <mailto:gord@...> Phone: +1.613.530-5662

      Ontario's /first and only/ biodynamic commercial top-bar apiaries:Follow
      GordoTheGeek on Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/SeldomFools>
      Honey and hive products produced in balance with nature.