overwintering in the frozen north

  • James Zitting
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2010
      Hey all,

      I have a customer who lives north of north Dakota in Canada wanting to use a
      top bar hive. She is concerned about overwintering, and if she should
      insulate. Can you folks with northern experience tell me how you have fared
      so far?

      Merry Christmas!!

      James Zitting

    • Jeff Hartman
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 24, 2010
        On 12/24/2010 7:00 AM, James Zitting wrote:
        > I have a customer who lives north of north Dakota in Canada wanting to use a
        > top bar hive. She is concerned about overwintering, and if she should
        > insulate. Can you folks with northern experience tell me how you have fared
        > so far?
        **************
        vertical top bar hives such as the warre or christ hive are much better
        suited to cold climates then horizonal top bar hives such as the kenyan.
        it's easier for the cluster to move vertically rather then horizontally.
        peace
        jeff
      • Tom O'Brien
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 24, 2010
          ?i had one hive die last winter, but it was not the cold air that did the
          deed, it is believed there was not enough air circulation to carry off the
          water vapour .... see pictures in the attached

          Tom O'Brien
          tmobrien1@...
          http://longlangwithlegs.blogspot.com

          > I have a customer who lives north of north Dakota in Canada wanting to use
          > top bar hive. She is concerned about overwintering, and if she should
          > insulate. Can you folks with northern experience tell me how you have
          > fared
          > so far?
          >

          > Merry Christmas!!
          >

          > James Zitting

        • Gord Campbell
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 24, 2010
            We're heading into our third winter and have had no issues with cold
            this far. We build our hive bodies from 5/4 rough-cut pine and that has
            plenty of thermal mass to keep things where they need it. Just close the
            bottom board and mouse-screen the entrances. We're doing a bit of
            experimenting with a variation on a warre quilt for the top and it looks
            promising. One hive lost its roof in a New Year's gale and spent a week
            in -30C overnight temps before we could get over toe check on it. Last
            winter, that same hive lost its bottom board at some point and they've
            come through with flying colours. Needless to say, that's our breeder
            hive. ;-)

            As Tom mentioned, a certain amount of air circulation is needed to
            remove any moisture. It's kind of gratifying to see icicles hanging from
            the bottom board in January.

            Cheers,
            .....G

            On 24/12/2010 7:00 AM, James Zitting wrote:

            > Hey all,
            >
            > I have a customer who lives north of north Dakota in Canada wanting to
            > use a
            > top bar hive. She is concerned about overwintering, and if she should
            > insulate. Can you folks with northern experience tell me how you have
            > fared
            > so far?
            >
            > Merry Christmas!!
            >
            > James Zitting

            Gord Campbell
            Beekeeper - Partner
            Seldom Fools Apiculture
            http://sfapiculture.ca 887 Plainview Place
            Kingston, ON K7P 2K3
            CANADA
            gord@... <mailto:gord@...> Phone: +1.613.530-5662

            Ontario's /first and only/ biodynamic commercial top-bar apiaries:Follow
            GordoTheGeek on Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/SeldomFools>
            Honey and hive products produced in balance with nature.