Re: [TopHive] TBH up north?

  • postlister@microscopica.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 6, 2010
      Hello Kamil,

      I have been offline for a while, and did not see your posting until today.
      I have HTBHs in Norway... They are doing great so far. I have modified
      the "usual" drawings on the web to make them deeper and shorter (better
      in winter). I'm using screened bottoms (better for Varroa, better in
      winter).

      Where are you located?

      Best regards,
      Tom Einar Andersen

      On 18.11.2010 20:17, Kamil wrote:
      > Hello everybody, I joined the group today. I live in Norway with cold
      > and long winters. We have what we call Norwegian standard hives which
      > are a bit modified Langtroth hives. I believe these are a bit taller
      > since bees do not leave the frame they are on during very cold days.
      > This way it is said that they have more to feed on before they
      > starve. I want to try top bar hives next year. Are there anybody here
      > having TBH's at cold places, I would be very glad to hear your
      > experiences. Best regards Kamil

    • aartiana
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 6, 2010
        This is great to know! I know a guy in Western Montana USA (Bozeman area) who tried TBH but didn't have much luck with it. He switched to Warre Hives and absolutely loves them - his bees (which he caught in the wild) have now tripled this past year - and he looks forward to making more Warre Hives in the Spring.

        However, there are some TBH people in Western MT, but closer to Kalispell which is north of the Flathead Lake - many cherry trees grow in this area. I have yet to talk to them, but heck - I just read things all over so I am educated! Thanks again!

        Lisa
        http://astroherbalist.com

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, postlister@... wrote:

        > Hello Kamil,
        >
        > I have been offline for a while, and did not see your posting until today.
        > I have HTBHs in Norway... They are doing great so far. I have modified
        > the "usual" drawings on the web to make them deeper and shorter (better
        > in winter). I'm using screened bottoms (better for Varroa, better in
        > winter).
        >
        > Where are you located?
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Tom Einar Andersen
        >

        > On 18.11.2010 20:17, Kamil wrote:
        > > Hello everybody, I joined the group today. I live in Norway with cold
        > > and long winters. We have what we call Norwegian standard hives which
        > > are a bit modified Langtroth hives. I believe these are a bit taller
        > > since bees do not leave the frame they are on during very cold days.
        > > This way it is said that they have more to feed on before they
        > > starve. I want to try top bar hives next year. Are there anybody here
        > > having TBH's at cold places, I would be very glad to hear your
        > > experiences. Best regards Kamil
      • Kamil
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 7, 2010
          Hello Tom Einar,
          It is good to know of another person who is using TBH's in Norway. I would be very much interested in sharing experience with you.
          I live in Hvaler, south-east of Norway.
          I have purchased material to start building some hives during Christmas holiday so it is good to have any advice from you.
          I think of building the Kenyan type according to the drawings from the files section here. How much deeper do you build your hives?
          Best regards
          Kamil